Thread: Blood in Catheter Tube

Blood in Catheter Tube

I was cathing my husband and when I backed the catheter out towards the end bright red blood was in the tube and on it...it was a small amount but I am concerned...never happened before..no signs of UTI....he has had pain in his left testicle for awhile (month)...HELP! Is this ok....He went to the Dr yesterday for the pain...he said could be when urine pools in an area and becomes infected and causes the pain???? The today the blood...

Thanks

If blood was only present in the tip of the catheter and there was no evidence of blood in the urine, it is likely that the cause was slight damage to the sphyncter, which from what I have read happens to many people from time to time. It happens to me usually when I have some resistance introducing the catheter.

Check the urine for blood, if there is none, then it will probably go away by the time of his next cath.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

You may have hit a small capillary during the catheterization... if it is not in the urine and doesn't happen again with the next few cath's, that is likely the cause. If it is in the urine, then drink, drink, drink and also try to see the doc. Any symptoms of UTI?
    CKF

I have this happen often, and most of the time, its because you've scratch the urethra while inserting or removing the catheter. Unless it continues all the time or there are any other signs of UTI's, its no big deal.

Jessie

Boy, I had a lot of trouble years ago with cathing. If you are using a stiff catheter like vinyl, like I was, you should switch. There are soft vinyl, silicone, and red rubber catheters. Try these different materials and different sizes. I use 12fr now because 14's required to much push pressure. Red rubber catheters have never hurt me, but they are sometimes hard to get in (too flexible). Remember don't force. If you need to, apply steady pressure, if you met with resistance, wait for the muscle to fatigue. You may need more lubricant--applied over the length of the catheter.

I use Rochester Antibacterial Personal Catheter® with Nitrofurazone, now. They have the right balance of firmness and flexibility for me.
    See below:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ala; 09-22-2007 at 05:49 PM.

This has happened to me a few times. After it happens, I just remind myself to be extra, extra gentle/clean when I cath. I usually would get a bit rough and not as clean as I should be when I was in a rush. I now take my time and make sure I'm as clean as possible, and it hasn't happend in a long time.