Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just wanna know

just wanna know

does the spinel cord grow back in time or how would i know how much i will regain. its been 10 months since my accident

I hate to break the bad news to you but the spinal cord is one thing that does NOT regenerate or grow back. Do come back to this site because these people here will help you!

its cool,but why does people get hand or arm function back? and sometime walk after a few years?

how do i talk 2 someone who is online

Riaan

Since this is a board, and not a chat room just give the post some time for a response.

Sorry to hear about your injury. What Duge said its correct, the spinal cord does not heal back to normal.

Everyone's body is different, just as everyone's injury is different. Some have a complete break in the cord, and others have partial damage. That's why some people have miraculous recoveries, and others, well, we deal with it.

The main thing is to keep trying. Take what you have and build upon it. That doesn't mean you will gain anything back, but then again who knows?

For me it was like a second life. I couldn't learn to walk again, so I had to learn to get around the best I could.

This site has a lot of information available. Hopefully you will continue to ask, and be answered.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

It takes a while to come back-IF IT DOES. Have you gotten no return yet? I got the biggest amount of return from 6-18 months after sci. I was lucky, got quite a bit. Def don't count on return, go forward like none is coming. Get the best chair you can, ramps, vehicle, etc. Also work hard as you can at rehab.

We are not sure how all return occurs. For some, it occurs with spinal shock clearing, which can take weeks or months. For others, cord swelling may be a factor and as the swelling subsides, it uncovers the actual damage...so the person who appeared complete now appears incomplete, when in fact they had an incomplete injury all along. For some, getting back one level may indicate that they had spinal root (nerve) damage in addition to spinal cord damage, as since the spinal root is a peripheral nerve, it has some ability to heal and regrow itself. "Sprouting" or regrowth of spinal cord nerves may occur to a very small extent, but probably not enough to really influence return.

If we could make spinal cords regrow, we would have a cure for spinal cord injury. Peripheral nerves can regenerate, but for some reason the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) do not. There is a lot of information about this on the Cure forum, so you may want to do some research there.

The largest amount of return occurs in the first 6 months post injury, but while 2 years is often stated as the "deadline" for getting return, remember that CR got back some finger movement 10 years post injury. Never say never, but you do have to proceed in getting on with life and not sitting around waiting for return.

(KLD)

I know everyone says that the spinal cord can not regrow, but if you look at the MRI from right after my injury, then at the one from 2 yrs post, you can clearly see that the injured area has gotten smaller. What made it get smaller?
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

It is common for the injured area to get smaller. This is called myelomalacia. It is due to the loss of volume of the cord tissue with death and degeneration of the neurons inside the cord. It can also occur below the level of injury.

(KLD)

im gonna stay posstive and pray and belive the best will happen. thank you 2 all the wonderfull people on this site