Thread: Any good computer deals out there? w/ Monitor, my cuz is looking!

Talking Any good computer deals out there? w/ Monitor, my cuz is looking!

Hello everyone.

I havn't been searching for any good deals lately (I'm holding off until Starcraft 2 comes out to build mah computer )
    but has anyone ran into any?

My cousin is looking for a desktop computer, with a monitor.

He is only going to be using this for media, (burning cds,dvds,editing photos,listening to music) and browsing the web of course.

So it doesn't have to be super powerful.

So if you run into anyting paste the links up here! thanks
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Hi, Cory. Good deals are plentiful. Take a look at this thread for more links to finding a computer for your cousin. Also, check out Dell's Desktop Smart Values for more deals. I purchased a Dimension 9200 computer a little over a month ago. Someone wanted to buy my old Dell, so it made sense to buy this machine.

Last week when I turned the Dimension 9200 on, the monitor read "No signal input." I had just done the Vista critical updates, and I suspected this may be the culprit. Rebooted the PC and received the same message. Checked the cables and everything was good. I don't like to talk to Dell on the phone, but I am OK with their on-line chat which I believe is located in Round Rock, Texas. After going through a few hoops, I decided it was a hardware problem and the Dell tech guy agreed. He said that they would send me a new motherboard and do the install because I have the on-site warranty.

The phone rang about ten minutes later last Friday and I was scheduled today at 3 PM. Last night the power went off in my area (which doesn't usually happen) and the APC UPS started beeping. I realized at four AM that my UPS was dead. Picked up another one today, and at about 2:50 PM we plugged it in to the Dell Dimension 9200. The machine (sort of suspected) booted into Windows without any problems. I decided to call Dell back at approximately 2:55 PM to inform them that this appointment may not be necessary. Was about to call and at 3 o'clock the doorbell rang. Explained everything to the technician in the field and he wanted to run a diagnostic anyway.

Everything checked out and my problem was solved. I did explain that I had ordered the PC with a DVD-ROM and a separate DVD-burner. Dell had sent me the computer with only the DVD-burner. I called Customer Support and complained so they shipped me another DVD-burner without the cable. The tech guy in the field (Barry) stated that it was no problem and he installed the DVD-burner which can also be used as a DVD-ROM. I tried to tip him $20, but he politely refused.

Therefore, based on this experience, I am going to recommend Dell.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Yha, the upper end Dells arn't bad at all. 9200 seems nicely equiped.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi, Cory. Good deals are plentiful. Take a look at this thread for more links to finding a computer for your cousin. Also, check out Dell's Desktop Smart Values for more deals. I purchased a Dimension 9200 computer a little over a month ago. Someone wanted to buy my old Dell, so it made sense to buy this machine.

Last week when I turned the Dimension 9200 on, the monitor read "No signal input." I had just done the Vista critical updates, and I suspected this may be the culprit. Rebooted the PC and received the same message. Checked the cables and everything was good. I don't like to talk to Dell on the phone, but I am OK with their on-line chat which I believe is located in Round Rock, Texas. After going through a few hoops, I decided it was a hardware problem and the Dell tech guy agreed. He said that they would send me a new motherboard and do the install because I have the on-site warranty.

The phone rang about ten minutes later last Friday and I was scheduled today at 3 PM. Last night the power went off in my area (which doesn't usually happen) and the APC UPS started beeping. I realized at four AM that my UPS was dead. Picked up another one today, and at about 2:50 PM we plugged it in to the Dell Dimension 9200. The machine (sort of suspected) booted into Windows without any problems. I decided to call Dell back at approximately 2:55 PM to inform them that this appointment may not be necessary. Was about to call and at 3 o'clock the doorbell rang. Explained everything to the technician in the field and he wanted to run a diagnostic anyway.

Everything checked out and my problem was solved. I did explain that I had ordered the PC with a DVD-ROM and a separate DVD-burner. Dell had sent me the computer with only the DVD-burner. I called Customer Support and complained so they shipped me another DVD-burner without the cable. The tech guy in the field (Barry) stated that it was no problem and he installed the DVD-burner which can also be used as a DVD-ROM. I tried to tip him $20, but he politely refused.

Therefore, based on this experience, I am going to recommend Dell.
    I have had an Optiplex for several years and have been very satisfied with it. If you go to the Dell Home Page and look under small business systems, you will find that the Optiplex can be modified without a monitor which is less money then referenced in the site shown above.
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...=04&l=en&s=bsd. This assumes that you already have a good monitor.
    mike

Thanks guys!
    looks awesome!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Yha, the upper end Dells arn't bad at all. 9200 seems nicely equiped.
    Hi Brent,

The Dimension 9200 is a decent machine. My brother wanted an economy PC for around $500. I talked him out of it, and now he also has a Dimension 9200 computer. You get what you pay for.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi Brent,

The Dimension 9200 is a decent machine. My brother wanted an economy PC for around $500. I talked him out of it, and now he also has a Dimension 9200 computer. You get what you pay for.
    For sure... Did you's see the XPS for 6 large... Blue ray and all that shnazz.

It's gett'n time for my new DT, and it's a hard decision! Couple local shops are offering nice systems....Example

or a Mac?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    or a Mac?? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??
    When pigs fly or chickens grow lips.

Ok, if you get this INTEL SLI GAMING SYSTEM, do you plan on overclocking? I know you gamers like to push the hardware.

It is interesting to compare the Dell Dimension 9200 to the Dell XPS 410. It is exactly the same case. Everything Dell states about the XPS design (BTX) and airflow/aerodynamics, holds true for both machines. It is about time for Blu-ray to come out and the price seems reasonable. Also, USB 3.0 will be coming out in the first half of 2008.

Dell XPS 410

Dell Dimension 9200

--General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com