Thread: "squeaky shoe" sound from Shox?

"squeaky shoe" sound from Shox?

Hi!
    I was out last night, and we walked/rolled home, a nice 15-16 block jaunt. Partway, I noticed my chair was making a new sound. And, it was consistent. Told everyone to be quiet, and slowly rolled forward, and heard it; rolled back, same. Then, found the spot on the other wheel. I now have a spot on each wheel that makes a sound like I have squeaky shoes! (or, sorta like a tree frog, if you know what that sounds like)

Any idea what it might be? Anyone else have this happen? I was not curb hoppin or anything, no "extreme drunken sports" and no other odd behaviour from me. One minute all was well, next thing I know, "squishy-squeak, squishy-squeak."

Shox Firm tires on Sun rims listed in my sig. Only about a month and a half old.
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Nobody?

I need to find time to stop by somewhere to have the rims checked I think...maybe both rims got bent?
    nikki
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Does the squeak sound like basketball shoes against wood floor or does it sound like bearings going bad? Are you sure the sound is from the rear wheels and not the casters?

Its less likely that the rims would be bent. Probably bad bearings, or, the shox loose and slipping on the rims?
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Lke wet shoessomeone is walking in. Each step goes, "squeky-squish, squeky-squish"

I sat still and rolled slowly forward, and found the spot on each wheel/tire. Marked it with a sharpie. I swapped the hweels, and it is still in the exact same spot. So, I rolled along, and placed fingers and thumb on each side of the wheels/tires to feel. When it hits the sharpie spot, it feels...bulging a little, or maybe warped. So I guess I did do something. I just cannot tell if it is the wheel or the tire. If it is the tire, then that stinks, because I do not recall doing anything radical. Heck, I am not able to do anything radical! LOL!
    nikki

Mine don't... but i'm not as active as you.... or anybody.

Sounds like rubber trying to squeeze into a tight place. Maybe a section of the rim wall is bent and pushed inwards, thus pushing the shox outwards, and when you roll over that section, the rubber is trying to squeeze back in creating that sound.

Are you sure the shox is fully seated into the rim? Maybe reinstall it and it will go away. While your at it, check to see if the rim is bent anywhere.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

I developed the same problem after switching to natural fit handrims on my solid tires on spox wheels. Turns out it was the handrim "thumbring" rubbing against the solid tire. Fixed it with dry silicone spray on the side of the tires. Now I can sneak up on people again...

nikki, check out this chart on the website, they manufacture SHOX tires. Maybe you have the "plush" tires which might be softer and may squeak more than the other two SHOX tire options (standard and firm).

http://www.spartech.com/wheels/shox_...air_tires.html