Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lift slings are crunching my 'junk'

lift slings are crunching my 'junk'

I've always used a standard hoyer pump lift, and just upgraded to the Hoyer Advance power lift. but w/ the new/different cradle & sling setup, it keeps riding up into my crotch while lifting me, so it's squishing my 'fellas' which is obviously not very comfy. has anyone else out there found a good solution?

castration. lol. so glad i'm a board transfer. (ps. don't take this the wrong way)

lift

maybe look into a Surehands system.

What type of sling are you using? They make a lot of different ones. You should be using one with the butt cut-out so it can easily be removed in your chair. These are less likely to cause genital compression too. You may need a different sling or a different size sling.

(KLD)

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    SureHands Body Support lift. Lifts you up under your armpits and under your thighs. Nothing anywhere your privates.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    What type of sling are you using? They make a lot of different ones. You should be using one with the butt cut-out so it can easily be removed in your chair. These are less likely to cause genital compression too. You may need a different sling or a different size sling.
    (KLD)
    i'm definitely using the right size sling according to the company's sizing chart. i'll be trying 2 other styles, but this lift only has 4 different styles available, and states that other slings are not compatible. i can attest to that, b/c i tried my old sling and it definitely doesn't fit well.

the problem seems to be due to the flimsiness of the sling (compared to my old-hoyer style slings) and the fact that there are only 2 lifting points on the cradle instead of 4 on the old hoyer. so it's sliding up.

anyway, i was just hoping someone had found a trick idea to keep it from happening.

I, too, was sent home with the standard hydraulic pump Hoyer lift, with six point cradle (they count those two little hooks in the center). After a year or two of leaky cylinders, I got the electric model of the same lift. it still has the same style cradle. I've seen the two-point lifts at Magee and I see what you mean about the slings. is it possible to simply put your old cradle on your new lift? Or perhaps they will exchange your new lift for the old style with electric motor like I have.

sometimes it's also just a matter of adjusting to a new device. It took us quite a while to figure out how to put the sling on so that I am sitting up nicely. I'm sure each lift style has its own tricks to figure out.

Scott, let me know how you make out. I'm in the process of trying to get that same lift for the purpose of being able to travel with it. Is it a hassle folding it up? Once folded is it easy to transport?

Thanks.

So which sling are you using? "Hygiene" or regular full body sling? Have you tried putting the leg straps under both legs rather than crossing in between?

(KLD)

I cross under my legs, and never had issues.