Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Case of Fire, Elevators are out of Service

In Case of Fire, Elevators are out of Service

Has anyone ever had to evacuate a building when you were not on the main level? What'd you do? Use the elevator anyway?

At my work they have me sit on the landing of the stairwell. The stairwells are equipped with speakers that go to the lobby. I alert them that I am there and they come and get me.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

When the fire alarm goes off, all elevators will automatically be recalled to ground or exit level. In most of the new buildings the stairway and elevator shafts are the core of the building, made out of concrete, and not much to burn in there. Also if the building is over 3 floors high the stairway and elevator shafts are pressurized, so there is a pretty slim chance that fire will get in there.

Where I worked they talked about getting one of those slim chairs on little wheels to be able to carry me down in case of emergency. They never actually bought it, and I have to say that I never really trusted that in a true emergency they just wouldn't all bolt out of the building anyway, leaving me behind to face whatever......

On several occasions, I have taken the elevator even though the fire alarm was already ringing (not all elevators automatically go out of service or are recalled when the alarm is activated).

I have informed the emergency response team at my company that the "safe area of refuge" concept of emergency response (as described by wheeliecoach) is not acceptable to me. The company has purchased an evacuation chair for me, it is stored (accessibly) near my office, and we have drilled with it ("we" being me and a group of co-workers who work on the same floor who have volunteered to assist me in an emergency).

For a guide to emergency response for and by those with disabilities, see Emergency Procedures for Employees With Disabilities in Office Occupancies, prepared by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

What does an evacuation chair do?
    Daniel

Safety first!

In case of a fire go to a stairwell. Also let some know that you are in the stairwell.

It is also a good idea to carry a cell phone for emergency purposes with police, fire and rescue numbers programmed in.

At work, for safety measures I am on the ground level, first room by the entry/exist door incase of a fire, fire alarm, emergency or explosion in a test cell. I work in an explosion proof room.

I was moved out of another building about six years ago and my branch chief asked me what were my requirements for a room was?

(Actual cut and paste from the email.)
    These are my requirements in no particular order:
    • Van accessible spot with sign.
    • Office on first floor. (I request this as a must for safety.)
    • A room with no windows.
    • Office near entry/exit doors. (In case of an emergency at the building; power outage, water main break, etc.)
    • Power entry/exit doors.
    • Accessible restroom.
    • Low light, no light in the room. Light bulbs can be removed. Low lights are easy on the eyes.
    • A warm room please +75 degrees.
    • I have no office furniture. The office furniture I have now works wonderfully, highly accessible and functional able. “L” layout is great with file cabinet down and storage cabinets on top with keyboard tray. Back of the office is fine where the lights can be off if other office mates are there. I also have just that one small computer table I use for discussing drawings.
    • No back to the open door way in case of getting a draft on my back and shoulders. (I use my arms and shoulders for mobility.)
    • Lever handle on door.
    • 110v outlets in arm’s reach.
    When you go to another building or another floor let someone that holds responsibility like a manager or supervisor know when you leave and return. Even tell officemates when you leave and where. Also if you take a day or two off let your supervisor know so he or she knows you are not at work if something dangerous happens near your work site.

Try having your work site on the main floor, not on a lower level below ground level or upper floors if possible. You should be able to leave by yourself incase of an emergency.

titanium4motion

In my co-op building, it's understood that in case of emergency, everyone will pass by my door on the way out to check my status and help carry me down the steps. We've done a drill. It's even written in our emergency manual. Emergency services have been notified.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja
    On several occasions, I have taken the elevator even though the fire alarm was already ringing (not all elevators automatically go out of service or are recalled when the alarm is activated).

It depends on how old, and what kind of fire alarm system, and on the authorities having jurisdiction.
    Taking the elevator in case of fire is always a bad idea. If the fire has spread to the machine room and elevator controls, it could result in a out of control elevator.

i always have a wireless phone near me...just in case.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."