Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treatment for stage 1 pressure ulcer

Treatment for stage 1 pressure ulcer

Yesterday, I arrived home (Dallas, Texas) from Central Arkansas for my mother's burial. Last night, I discovered that I had a large bruised areaon my left cheek which is purplish in color and about 2 inches in diameter. Of course, I am staying off it completely until it heals.
    What additional treatment should I use to help this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Don D. 73
    Yesterday, I arrived home (Dallas, Texas) from Central Arkansas for my mother's burial. Last night, I discovered that I had a large bruised areaon my left cheek which is purplish in color and about 2 inches in diameter. Of course, I am staying off it completely until it heals.
    What additional treatment should I use to help this situation.
    just stay off until it looks normal then limit time on it for a while.

Hi,

YOu likely have put extra sitting pressure on during your trip. Please review the stages of pressure sores in the sticky post at the beginning of this care section. Bruising without breaks in skin can indicate deep tissue injury (DTI).
    Keep the pressure totally off and continue to observe it for any advancing symptoms. I would not massage it or put anything on it at this point.

AAD

I've had that happen to me several times, after about a week or so it goes away if you stay off it enough as others have said
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I have had these to.....I stay off what I can...but being alone you u have to get up to fixed something to eat an pee and other things.....takes like 1 week for me.....with me there warm after a 1/2 hour so I no whats going on then get the mirror and look and see.....also were white underware helps to so you can spot something early.....Art
    Art

Don, so sorry to hear about your Mom. You are in my prayers. Take care of yourself...

God bless,

Teena

Thanks to all of you for your advice, and thanks to you in particular, Teena, for your kind words and prayers.
    Today, I will be attending my mother's Memorial service here in Dallas. This means I will be up for two or three hours. Any advice in preparation for being up for that period of time?

Hi,
    Do pressure reliefs every 15 minutes or as often as you can. Make sure your wheelchair cushion is optimal. Sympathies for your mother.
    AAD

Don, hope you are doing ok...

Teena, I'm doing just fine, thanks.
    I went to my mother's Memorial service Friday, and sure enough, I had almost no chance to do pressure reliefs for the 3 1/2 hour service and reception. The purplish spot was bleeding. Needless to say, I have remained in bed with no pressure on the site at all. After two days of this, it has stopped bleeding and appears to look better.
    AAD, any suggestions for me at this point?