Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bed wedge - skin implications

bed wedge - skin implications

I'd like to buy a wedge for bedtime so that I can continue to sleep on my back as my pregnancy progresses - sleeping only on my sides just isn't going to happen. I'm concerned that the wedge will cause sacral sores though - can anyone reccomend a particular product?
    I used to have an adjustable bed but decided I no longer needed it - wish I would have kept it now.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Congratulations on the baby. I either missed that post of forgot. I know nothing about wedges, sorry. I wish you luck. I could never sleep on my back when pregnant. I just couldn't breathe with all that baby in my way.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Here is what I think you may be looking for it is called the mattress Genie, I have one and I like it and it is a lot cheaper then an adjustable bed.
    http://www.contourliving.com/showpro...x?productid=19
    When I got mine it was from Amazon.com they had the best price.

I hope this is what you are looking for

Stevie P

My sister also has the Mattress Genie and it works great!

Hi Emi,

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Wedges are good in that they can allow more varied positions, especially in later pregnancy when it gets harder to breathe, etc.

But you are right-they can put extra pressure on the sacrum, especially if used for long periods. If you get a wedge, I would recommend that you continue to change positions every 2-3 hours and do not sleep in the same wedged position all night. The one that was shown in the link sounds like you can raise or lower it, which would give you more variety in positions.

But like anything, always check your skin after a change in position or in the morning so you can identify any areas of pressure that occur. Also make sure that you have a good underlying mattress that gives you good support as well as a good surface to avoid pressure.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by StevieP
    Here is what I think you may be looking for it is called the mattress Genie, I have one and I like it and it is a lot cheaper then an adjustable bed.
    http://www.contourliving.com/showpro...x?productid=19
    When I got mine it was from Amazon.com they had the best price.

I hope this is what you are looking for

Stevie P
    i wonder if this will work with a tempurpedic mattress?

thats pretty cool, wonder if it will work with a select comfort air bed...
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    i wonder if this will work with a tempurpedic mattress?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emi2
    I don't know. I was kind of skeptical at first, but it works fine w/ my sister's bed, which is just a plain ole mattress w/ a memory foam topper.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2
    Emi,
    That's the bed I have, and seeing how it goes under the mattress I wonder if it would effect how the mattress is controlled? It has a 30 day warrantee, so I think it would be worth trying. I have a regular wedge that I use, and just toss it on my w/c when I don;t want it. Comments say that is is loud, but isn't an issue if you set it, and leave it at that amount of air for the night.
    Last edited by sjean423; 09-11-2007 at 02:16 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Back when I was in a normal twin bed I used the Genie, it worked great for it. Would raise me up with no problem, to a good level.

We now have split-king adjustable Select Comfort bed so don't use it. Emi, using the Genie on a SC bed should be no different that me using the adj frame under it. You might need to have something at end of bed to keep mattress from slipping down. And always set "number" when you are flat.

Now the not so good: I liked the MG so well we bought one for our motorhome bed which is a queen, also a Select Comfort(it came with it). So I bought a queen size MG and it is not as friendly. The problem is, it is a bigger balloon and is very dependent on weight applied. When I am on my side by myself, it never raises me as high as wanted because all the air is over on my wifes side. Then when she hits it, it's like being on a trampoline, you go up and down as the other person moves about.

The motor is loud, but if you air it up high when awake, the deflate operation is much quieter if you wanted to lower down w/o waking partner.

I might try the twin in the MH and see if it can do what I want.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"