Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: our school system

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    It is very scary who is educating my son. He got his first progress report today. In pretty caligraphy in the comment section she wrote, "Fulton's doin good." I guess first graders do not need to learn good grammar and what apostrophes are for. It doesn't help that I don't like her to begin with does it?

lawd gawd awmighty that jist aint wright, stupit teachers i swear

the author probably saved herself from bodily harm by not writing, hey yer kid aint doin nuthin good, in her pretty lil handwriting.

maybe a shock to some, but i would probably come in last place if cc ever held a english competition

i get a kick out of reading Todd's posts when he corrects some wise guys english, but then after the correction im still setting here wondering wth difference did that make? no habla englis

Quote Originally Posted by CLC379
    i get a kick out of reading Todd's posts when he corrects some wise guys english, but then after the correction im still setting here wondering wth difference did that make? no habla englis
    I'm never trying to be arrogant. I'm articulate as well as pedantic. I'm also passionate about language and I love words. Therefore, I often feel compulsively compelled to correct grammar and spelling when it's incorrect. I find it particularly disheartening when it's a teacher that's so grossly inept in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    I'm never trying to be arrogant. I'm articulate as well as pedantic. I'm also passionate about language and I love words. Therefore, I often feel compulsively compelled to correct grammar and spelling when it's incorrect. I find it particularly disheartening when it's a teacher that's so grossly inept in English.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but:
    when it's a teacher who is so grossly inept in English.

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    Correct me if I'm wrong but:
    when it's a teacher who is so grossly inept in English.
    Either one is correct. Who must always refer to a person, never a thing. The word that is neutral and introduces a restrictive clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictive_clause

It is very scary who is educating my son. He got his first progress report today. In pretty caligraphy in the comment section she wrote, "Fulton's doin good."
    Oh, man, is this teacher young? Did she think that her comment was simple and hip or something? I would mention it to the principal, because no matter how cool a teacher is, they need to be a good role model and spelling and grammar are absolutely primary in elementary education. As a parent, you are not out of line to protest this teacher's short cuts and casual approach.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Either one is correct. Who must always refer to a person, never a thing. The word that is neutral and introduces a restrictive clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictive_clause
    thx man. i always thought it was wrong to use that referring to a person.

It is very scary who is educating my son. He got his first progress report today. In pretty caligraphy in the comment section she wrote, "Fulton's doin good." I guess first graders do not need to learn good grammar and what apostrophes are for. It doesn't help that I don't like her to begin with does it?
    I think you may want to privately write Miss Caligraphy about the consequences of her grammar if her lessons resemble her notes. Second grade is normally when children in the US are given their first IQ and aptitude tests. Reading well and distinquishing ownership versus plurals will help your son and the rest of his class do well. Doing well on tests reflect on their teacher. I think that might accomplish what you want without the evil eye treatment from the rest of the school. If she is young she may appreciate the private guidance.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Absolutely right, Sue! Writing and speaking well are often the first impressions of our intelligence to other people. They're assets. Using slang in a formal setting is awful.

Quite right! Even if she knew you well enough to joke around with a bit of slang, a progress report is not the correct place to use it.

I might use a slang word or censored word on occassion sitting in the comfort of my own home, but in the public's eye, I don't think so.

She's been teaching at least 6 years. I know this becasue she was there when my daughter went to kindergarten. We tolerate each other but do not get along. This is due to an incident several years ago with one of her friends and my husband. There is no way she would joke around with me.

I decided to keep a copy of the progress report in my file in case it gets worse. I put a red line through doin and good. Below I wrote. "I am proud that Fulton is doing well." She corrects his spelling tests by crossing out the word with the red line and writing the correct word below. I think she got the hint.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.