Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Now is an opportunity to act - paralyzed nfl player

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    I've spent ages educating people that life with a SCI isn't the end of the freakin' world.
    Try telling that to the families of no less than 4 people under the age of 40 who have died solely due to SCI related causes, whom I know alone. The countless families that have been torn apart and rendered bankrupt, the middle aged individuals and younger who have to resort to living in residential care etc etc

For the first two decades, I didn't even know any gimps who would disgree with that. Imagine my surprise when I came here.
    I credit you with a bit more intelligence than this Carol. You yourself said you don't know if you could cope with a high injury. What, did you think that everybody would be the opposite to that perception and therefore 'lovin' it'? Come on now, it's hardly a surprise. And I'm sorry you refer to yourself constantly as a 'gimp', you really should try not to let your injury define you.

The general public is plenty aware of how bad a SCI sux. Nobody will hear about this injury and think that it is anything less than the devastating turn of events that it is. I hope that this man recovers quickly and completely. My best to him and his family and friends.

C.
    This is patently false, the general public have NO idea 'how bad a SCI sux' and the sugar-coated, inspirational, sensationalised and patronising BS that represents a large chunk of preferred media coverage these days does nothing to help this issue. Sure people will think 'Thank fig that is not me' or 'That's sad but not likely to happen to me', but the harsh realities need to be portrayed to push the urgency of a cure. If that offends you then I guess thats too bad, you'll just have to work a little harder at being a warrior. It's clear why you were instantaneously on my ass about my website, the whole concept offended you Whatever, thankfully that kind of view is a marginal one.

My best to the guy too for a speedy and full recovery.

I've spent ages educating people that life with a SCI isn't the end of the freakin' world.

C.
    For many, it is. The contentment you've found despite your injury eludes many others.

I hope Everett recovers, but I haven't read anything about that yet.

Two ways this could benefit us: Everett is allowed to use Cethrin and recovers. That would give SCI research big publicity and Bioaxone an infusion of cash. Cethrin may also be beneficial for chronics, which is a plus.

Everett doesn't recover and the NFL agrees to hold fundraisers for SCI research and/or promote SCI research.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Blog Entries

The general public is aware ?

The preceding message gives the "general public" too much credit.
    Few, if any other non-congental conditions humans suffer compare to high quadripelgia.
    If the gp knew this, it would be curable by now. It's just too rare of a condition.

Oh, please. I only wish there was more of that. I got tired of people assuming that my life sucked a long time ago. I've spent ages educating people that life with a SCI isn't the end of the freakin' world.
    Was it the end of the freakin world for Christopher Reeve?
    the average quad at cr level, if they survive the first year, lives around 10 years. cr died something like 9 years and 9 months....RIGHT ON TIME HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    I hope Everett recovers, but I haven't read anything about that yet.

Two ways this could benefit us: Everett is allowed to use Cethrin and recovers. That would give SCI research big publicity and Bioaxone an infusion of cash. Cethrin may also be beneficial for chronics, which is a plus.

Everett doesn't recover and the NFL agrees to hold fundraisers for SCI research and/or promote SCI research.
    dennis byrd (also NFL) got some kind of acute treatment; did anything happen with that?

Some of the previous posts illustrate the folly of applying one's limited experience and reality as a gauge for others whose situation may be quite different. We rarely learn while we talk, and strongly worded statements lessen the probability of empathic communication. When intelligent and articulate people repeatedly "misunderstand" each other, one of two conclusions can be drawn. One, the poster is reinforced by conflict. Or, two, their objectivity is questionable.

It is a harsh reality that some SCI's are so sever that longevity is greatly reduced. I would guess that most condemned on death row outlive many with very high injuries. This must change - and that change must come soon. We often banter about what area of SCI should be addressed first. For me, the highest priority would be to develop therapies that restore independent respiration and the ability for self care to those most impacted by SCI.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    dennis byrd (also NFL) got some kind of acute treatment; did anything happen with that?
    I'm shamefully not knowledgable of this. Byrd was injured in '92, so I'm assuming he received methylprednisolone.

I have a call into Everett's agent. I'm going to suggest trying to get Cethrin on a compassionate use basis if he's not showing any major recovery.

"He's had some sparse movement," Everett's agent Brian Overstreet told The Associated Press in a phone interview late Sunday.

"The next couple of days is going to be critical," said Overstreet, responding to a question about paralysis. "Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again." (Source)
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 09-10-2007 at 03:24 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    It is a harsh reality that some SCI's are so sever that longevity is greatly reduced. I would guess that most condemned on death row outlive many with very high injuries. This must change - and that change must come soon. We often banter about what area of SCI should be addressed first. For me, the highest priority would be to develop therapies that restore independent respiration and the ability for self care to those most impacted by SCI.
    You said exactly what I was thinking!!!! Thank you for putting it so eloquently.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    You said exactly what I was thinking!!!! Thank you for putting it so eloquently.
    Times two.