Thread: I Don't Know What I Bought!

I Don't Know What I Bought!

My old Dell OptiPlex work 'puter, with 98SE & 256 mem.......died, fried, froze, wouldn't boot. Lost drivers, lost system files. I freaked! I ran to my local geeks (where I bought the Dell in '01 or '02) and said, ...."save the hard drive..whaddaya got?" I dunno what I got (aLL I kow is that they had them for $199,$225,$250, & $275- I took one of the the $275's) other than I chose one with 512 and either a AMD or Exceleron processor. Dunno which Pentium, at least a IV- I hope, hadda have a floppy port. Dunno what kinda CD speed (Hope its a writable), dunno how much HD space.....(wanted XP...he asked a few questions & said I didn't need pro, I did not want Vista) ...."just.....please, save & xfer my pgms & xfer my customer's confidential and security files and my co's client activity files. Here's all my stuff, just please do it as quickly as possible." I lost my lease (after 27 yrs in the same location) & just moved my business (retail shop and services), 2 wks ago (2 blocks away) and am still trying to find things - like pencils! I don't need this kind of aggravation right now. I trust these guys, been using them since referred by a webmaster, back around '96 or '97 (Win 95). They know their stuff ("Best OF...." in local papers for many years), just are a bit 'tunnel visioned' when it comes to customer care. The owner is OK, but the techs talk to me like I'm supposed to know something, and use buzz words that aren't in my vocabulary. Example, I called yesterday (Sat) to see what was happenin with my xfers. I'm told (by the tech answering) the tech doing my stuff doesn't work on Sat! I told them ASAP! The owner assigned it to the tech who'd do the best job for me (I've some older, strange proprietary business pgms that have to be tweaked to run on XP) but forgot that he was off on Sats! (tunnel vision). Fri afternoon (about 4:30) I got a call saying- "Did you want a modem?"(I've dial up at the moment)- ......... "Yes!" ........ "Oh, cause most of our customers don't need/want one. We gotta put one in."...... "How much?" ..... "$19."...... "Is it fast?"......... "they're all just about the same, these days................." I hope I get a call to pick it up on Mon.
    Last edited by nide44; 09-09-2007 at 09:26 AM.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

I found out:

ACPI Uniprocessor
    AMD Athelon
    (dunno what the = is in Pentium?)
    1.34 Gightz,
    480mb RAM,
    56K modem (still have dial-up),
    DVD/CD ROM (may replace it with a burner)
    S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR,
    RealTek RTL 8139 Net Adapter.
    Re-built
    $279.99
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

the equizallent PIV chip is 1.7Ghz.

I'm pleased with the response rate and speed of the new system. I didn't know if I'd bought the "Brooklyn Bridge", but everything seems to be running OK. Hope it doesn't give me any problems. I'm wary of the AMD Athelon and not a Pentium....not an 'Intel' chip. Don't know anything about 'em.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

That series of AMD destroyed intel Pentiums. Intel just took back the lead with the core 2 duals. Which is based off the PIII chip.