Thread: SPINALIS Handbook

SPINALIS Handbook

written by Richard Levi, MD, PhD and Claes Hultling, MD, PhD.
    Claes Hultling has been a quad for over 20 years (diving in shallow water).
    to quote them:
    "we have tried to fill the gap between medical textbooks and technical "how-to" patient manuals. the underlying philosophy of the book can be summarized as follows:
    - succesful rehabilitation requires informed, empowered patients
    - the keys to empowerment are knowledge and attitude
    - life cannot be postponed into a distant future when "cure, not care" can be offered (the preface was written in 1999)
    - a rich social, professional, sexual and spiritual life can be lived despite para- or tetraplegia.
    the main text is supplemented with short paragraphs reflecting a more personal and subjective view on some key topics. these paragraphs are written by Dr Hultling, more from a "user" than "care-giver" perspective.
    this is a book for browsing as well as for thorough reading. we hope it will serve as one of several tools to attain independence, integrity and good life satisfaction after one of the most challenging of all possible life events - a spinal cord injury."
    they do discuss all the topics, including sex, having a baby, etc.
    as a bonus, the graphic design of the book and the illustrations are great.

Link, please? Nothing came up on a google search or at amazon.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marmalady:

http://google.startsiden.no/index.html?q=Claes+Hultling

Most information is in Swedish but some is in English too.

TH 12 incomplete 12-12-69.

Marmalady,

i have got mine while i was at rehab. assumed that amazon sells it. (obviously i have assumed too much.) the book is great, and imo every sci person/family would benefit from having it.

you can get it directly from spinalis:
    http://www.spinalis.se/eng/literature.htm

I have a copy I got from one of the authors at an ASIA conference. It is the patient manual from a large SCI center in Sweden called the Spinalis Policlinic. I doubt it is commercially available in this country or Canada, and I doubt if they would send it to you internationally for free due to the postage costs.

Comparable to "Yes, You Can" from the PVA.

(KLD)