Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hospitals or Doctors who specialize in HO surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    McLaren87
    It has not returned, I take a medication called Indomethacin. I also had pinpoint radiation on both hips just before the surgery to help prevent it from coming back. So far so good, but there is no guarantee.
    Thats great to hear ! Whats your injury level and could you describe your recovery process ? I was also reading that pulse electromagnetic frequency at 25Hz prevented HO from forming in a test group and the test group that didn't - 33% or something got HO. So that might be another safe tool to keep it at bay, but I'm not certain.
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

Mclaren87,
    I am a C5 Incomplete, 20 year on May 15th. The recovery on the first hip went very well, no complications. After about two weeks they removed the drain that they put in your leg to drain excess fluid, then remove the stitches and good to go. I had to wait 6 weeks for the next hip, unfortunately that didn't go as well. They removed the drain only after two days, fluid built up and I got an infection. I blame that on the fact that the original surgeon retired between surgeries and his replacement didn't have enough experience doing this and removed the drain too soon. Long story short I had to have two more surgeries on that hip, spent almost two months in hospital before it finally healed up. After all is said and done it was worth it because I can finally sit up strait and the chronic pressure wound on my sacrum finally closed up.

Mclaren87,
    I am a C5 Incomplete, 20 year on May 15th. The recovery on the first hip went very well, no complications. After about two weeks they removed the drain that they put in your leg to drain excess fluid, then remove the stitches and good to go. I had to wait 6 weeks for the next hip, unfortunately that didn't go as well. They removed the drain only after two days, fluid built up and I got an infection. I blame that on the fact that the original surgeon retired between surgeries and his replacement didn't have enough experience doing this and removed the drain too soon. Long story short I had to have two more surgeries on that hip, spent almost two months in hospital before it finally healed up. After all is said and done it was worth it because I can finally sit up strait and the chronic pressure wound on my sacrum finally closed up.
    Oh wow, 2 months !

The initial surgery, was that a 2 week hospital stay or did you get sent home with the leg drain ?

McLaren87,
    I stayed in the hospital between surgeries because my wound care doctor was still working on getting the wound on the sacrum to close and she thought it best that I stay on bed rest.

McLaren87,
    I stayed in the hospital between surgeries because my wound care doctor was still working on getting the wound on the sacrum to close and she thought it best that I stay on bed rest.
    Oh, I sorta overlooked the ongoing wound you were dealing with, since it wasn't relevant to me. I was just wondering how long I would have to stay at the hospital after surgery, assuming I didn't have any complications after. I remember my doc saying that I would need to be on my stomach for 2 weeks, but I didn't ask him if that was at home or at the hospital. To remove mine he will probably have to make incisions in my left groin, side of my hip and my bodacious booty. Oh an my knee where its at too I suppose.....ugh.

How long do you have to take those meds your DR prescribed ? Did they ask you to make follow up scans as well ?
    Last edited by McLaren87; 05-13-2019 at 04:12 PM.