Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hospitals or Doctors who specialize in HO surgery?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hospitals or Doctors who specialize in HO surgery?

Has anyone else here had surgery for heterotopic ossification? If so, where did you have the surgery, and what was your experience?

I have a severe case of ho in my hip after a spinal injury. I'm have surgery next month to excise the bone. I can't wait to have t done so I can sit up straight again and bend over. Anyone had this done and it come back.

me too

I have a bad ho in my hip too. I am very curious to hear about it. Please keep us informed. I can barely put on my socks and shoes on my right side any longer and am super afraid of surgery, but if I hear great success stories, I may decide it's worth it.
    Everything I have heard so far said it's like trying to pick cooked rice out of hamburger meat. I know! It did't sound encouraging to me either.
    The best luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery full of success.

did u have your ho surgery yet ? how did it go ? and where did you have it done? I HAVE HO REAL BAD AND HAD SURGERY AND IT CAME BACK DOUBLE THE SIZE IT WAS AND REAL NEED TO FIND ANOTHER DOC TO REDO IT SO I CAN DO THE REBOTIK DEVICE THAT JUST CAME OUT CANT DO IT WITH HO LET ME KNOW MY NAME IS SANTO I LIVE IN PA THANKS GOD BLESS

Dr. Wynne Snoots at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, TX does this. I have seen several of his patients in rehab immediately following surgery, but have only gotten to see one about a year later. He was an incomplete quad with severe HO of both hips. When I saw him a year later he was walking with a cane and said his recovery had been wonderful with no further difficulty in his hips.

Dr. Snoots is apparently 79 years old. You might want to sign up soon.

I am also very interested in this topic having lived with completely frozen hips for 46 years. Being only 10 years younger than Dr. Snoots I am probably not a good candidate for surgery. If I was younger I would be looking hard. The frozen hips are very limiting and having a greater and greater impact on my life.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I would have never guessed -
    Hope I am still going strong at 79.

Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but does anyone else know of any dr's that specialize in HO sci surgery ?

dont know if does surgery, but i know hes big in research, authored about h.o..hes at miami jackson memorial...near miami project....he was a dr when i was there for my initial inpatient, i had a little ho at the beginning, he treated me with meds, and it was gone in no time..worth a look... Dr. Kresimir Banovac
    - Rolling Thru Life -

surgery for HO should be the last resort option. How has PT and pain management worked for you?

pbr