Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hospitals or Doctors who specialize in HO surgery?

Dr. Garland at Rancho, but he may be retired by now.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Dr. Garland at Rancho, but he may be retired by now.

(KLD)

Retired last year.

Any updates from the people that were pursuing surgery? I’m looking for a surgeon...I have HO in my hips and riddled through my back...and it’s really hindering my ability to function. I have been without my pain management since October when the legislature here voted to block people from getting pain meds. I’m scheduled for a pain pump trial on Monday, and hopefully surgery shortly afterwards. I’m praying that it gives me some relief.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

At one time, the University of Alabama, Birmingham (home of Spain Rehab Center) was a major HO management center. You might want to check with them. I would contact the Spain Rehab Outpatient SCI clinic for information.
    https://www.uabmedicine.org/location...itation-center

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    Any updates from the people that were pursuing surgery? I’m looking for a surgeon...I have HO in my hips and riddled through my back...and it’s really hindering my ability to function. I have been without my pain management since October when the legislature here voted to block people from getting pain meds. I’m scheduled for a pain pump trial on Monday, and hopefully surgery shortly afterwards. I’m praying that it gives me some relief.

You have an update on your situation ?
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

Hi, I had a sever case of HO in the both hips which prevented me from sitting up properly, hence I developed a pressure wound on my sacrum which would not heal for years. I had the surgery done in 2017 at age 69 at the Miami VA hospital. The surgery can be dangerous because of blood loss and possible infection. They actually chisel out the bone growth, in my case they took out 7 pounds of calcification between both hips. I had to wait 6 weeks between hips because they wont due both at one time. I unfortunately got an infection in my left leg and had to have additional surgery. Despite all, I would definitely do it again, it has changed my life. it is important to find a Orthopedic surgeon who has experience doing this type of surgery and not just an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    Hi, I had a sever case of HO in the both hips which prevented me from sitting up properly, hence I developed a pressure wound on my sacrum which would not heal for years. I had the surgery done in 2017 at age 69 at the Miami VA hospital. The surgery can be dangerous because of blood loss and possible infection. They actually chisel out the bone growth, in my case they took out 7 pounds of calcification between both hips. I had to wait 6 weeks between hips because they wont due both at one time. I unfortunately got an infection in my left leg and had to have additional surgery. Despite all, I would definitely do it again, it has changed my life. it is important to find a Orthopedic surgeon who has experience doing this type of surgery and not just an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Has it showed back up ? Are you taking any preventive measures ? I just don't wanna lose my leg from an infection or have wounds that never heal.

I had HO in 95 wall and rehab on my right hiP
    Recently the R0M in the hip went down significantly and I did a lot of preparatory work towards getting a Girdlestone procedure where of the trochanter is removed to restore freedom to the hip.
    I don?t suppose even that surgery is sensible if you have Active HO at the time. I know back when I had my HO a 95
    I recollect that when I had the HO in 95, I did a lot of discovery and problem-solving and found that the leading expert on HO at the time was Dr. Riley xxx at University of Alabama I believe. He?s probably dead by now because I found him to be almost retired in 95, but it?s probably true that that is a place where they will know about a chow or be able to direct you to a current source of information. Whatever you do, don?t go Anywhere that isn?t the point of the spear!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I had HO in 95 wall and rehab on my right hiP
    Recently the R0M in the hip went down significantly and I did a lot of preparatory work towards getting a Girdlestone procedure where of the trochanter is removed to restore freedom to the hip.
    I don?t suppose even that surgery is sensible if you have Active HO at the time. I know back when I had my HO a 95
    I recollect that when I had the HO in 95, I did a lot of discovery and problem-solving and found that the leading expert on HO at the time was Dr. Riley xxx at University of Alabama I believe. He?s probably dead by now because I found him to be almost retired in 95, but it?s probably true that that is a place where they will know about a chow or be able to direct you to a current source of information. Whatever you do, don?t go Anywhere that isn?t the point of the spear!
    I just read something that the myschemel stem cells that are in part responsible for the growth of HO can proliferate even after the bone is matured. They saw that the HO started to form again, but not from the source of the original HO. https://stemcellsjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.5966/sctm.2015-0365

McLaren87
    It has not returned, I take a medication called Indomethacin. I also had pinpoint radiation on both hips just before the surgery to help prevent it from coming back. So far so good, but there is no guarantee.