Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spasm control

I'm the same as heidigo is, I didn't notice a difference when I was increasing my baclofen. Through here and friends, I've heard of a lot of trouble with the pump. I also have a lot of trouble with surgeries, they can't get my trach back in, so I try to avoid them as much as possible.

My BP is always low and drowsiness high, but it sounds like Zanaflex or Valium may b worth looking into.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

My son is a C 3-4 quad, injured 17 yrs ago. He is allergic to oral Baclofen & he chose not to get the pump. He has been on valium for all these years & it seems to work good for him. He takes 2 MG every couple hrs, during the day, with no bad side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    What are some helpful meds or treatments for spasm control? I'm already on 80 mg of oral baclofen and was on 4 mg of tizanidine (sp?) per day. I'm not fond of drugs, so I slowly quit the tizanidine, after a month of being completely off of it, I haven't noticed any change in spasms.

I have very little trouble with contractures anywhere in my body. I currently get some variation of PROM 2-4 times per day which does very well in keeping me loose and mobile.

However, whenever I'm out in my chair, I'm constantly flying around, kicking off shoes and have a hard time going from point A to B.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Hello Trainman,
    I just thought I'd give you the heads up. Xanaflex is the brand name for the generic tizanadine. I take tizanadine and was at the limit when they had me try valium. Valium had no effect, so they switched me to dantrolene/dantrium. They checked my liver before I could start taking it, but it helped alot, even if I only took one at night. My trunk used to spasm over my legs or over the side of my chair and my feet were all over the place too. Ask your doctor about them both, valium and dantrolene. You never know which will be right for you.
    Rose
    http://www.myspace.com/roseoremus
    C6/C7 Complete, Asia A, since March 31, 2005.

I've tried just about every muscle relaxant over the years. Fortunately, my spasms aren't a major problem, but the tight muscles do aggravate my back and abdominal pain.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Zanaflex knocked me out. I have reduced the baclofen a little, to 90 mgs/day. The spazzing has inched up some, but so far still managable. The Dantrium I quit once I found out it could mess with my liver. I will admit, however, that Dantrium did prove to be the silver bullet that calmed my legs enough so that I could get good work done with PT. As Cali will tell you, Dantrium will also "day-glo" your pee! The valium made me stooopid!

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard
    Zanaflex knocked me out. I have reduced the baclofen a little, to 90 mgs/day. The spazzing has inched up some, but so far still managable. The Dantrium I quit once I found out it could mess with my liver. I will admit, however, that Dantrium did prove to be the silver bullet that calmed my legs enough so that I could get good work done with PT. As Cali will tell you, Dantrium will also "day-glo" your pee! The valium made me stooopid!
    the 10 mg of valium doesnt work for me anymore....damn i need an elephant dose .
    baclofen ?nada ,lyrica ,neurontin etc.i cry and suffer.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 09-15-2007 at 10:17 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Thanks again for the info everyone, I'll likely give these a try.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    My BP is always low and drowsiness high, but it sounds like Zanaflex or Valium may b worth looking into.
    Do you also have anxiety? Thus when your blood pressure rises a little or a lot, it feels like you're panicky?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Do you also have anxiety? Thus when your blood pressure rises a little or a lot, it feels like you're panicky?
    I can definately say I don't get panicky or much anxiety. After a couple decades on a vent, I'm great at staying cool, especially as it helps on the ocassions with no air.

1gram of medical marijuana a day is what i use, i used to be on baclofen didnt work hardlyat all for me used to have to tie up my legs at night, ugh