Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spasm control

Spasm control

What are some helpful meds or treatments for spasm control? I'm already on 80 mg of oral baclofen and was on 4 mg of tizanidine (sp?) per day. I'm not fond of drugs, so I slowly quit the tizanidine, after a month of being completely off of it, I haven't noticed any change in spasms.

I have very little trouble with contractures anywhere in my body. I currently get some variation of PROM 2-4 times per day which does very well in keeping me loose and mobile.

However, whenever I'm out in my chair, I'm constantly flying around, kicking off shoes and have a hard time going from point A to B.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

My sister is on 4 mg of Zanaflex capsules 3 x day and that has made a difference(she also takes 10mg baclofen in the am and 5 mg in afternoon & night). When I first got the rx filled, they pharmacy filled with the generic tizanidine tablets and Amber didn't really notice a difference. She told her doctor and the dr said she had to be on the brand name Zanaflex and it had to be capsules. When Amber switched to the brand name capsules she said she could definitely tell a difference vs. the generic tablets.

~Heidi

It sounds like one possibly at least. Any idea on side effects?

I've found that Zanaflex is only effective for a short time when I take it.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    I've found that Zanaflex is only effective for a short time when I take it.
    Have you tried anything else?

zanaflex zonks me out. i also have low blood pressure and as a result have issues with passing out. i take meds for that. the reason i mention it is because zanaflex lowers your blood pressure too, but for me it was nothing significant. plus it didn't help me spasms at al, in fact i think it made them worse.

i'm on 100mgof oral baclofen a day plus i take the occasional 2mg of valium if i need it. it really helps me, but i still spasm. if i had it my way, i'd take more valium but it make me light headed and lazy if i take more than 4 mg.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    What are some helpful meds or treatments for spasm control? I'm already on 80 mg of oral baclofen
    Have you tried a higher dose of baclofen? I was up to 120 mg at one point and I don't think my spasms were all that severe. A pain, yes, but they never flipped me out of my chair or anything.

C.

Have you thought about getting a Baclofen pump

Yeah...be very careful if you have low blood pressure and they want to give you Zanaflex. My roommate just recently went on meds for spasms at night...and she thought she would just go on what I am on (Zanaflex), but the doctor asked her if she has a history of low blood pressure and she does. This drug lowers your pressure more. Therefore she was put on Baclofen.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Prior to my sister going on Zanaflex, she was on 120 mg baclofen a day and that made her so tired, plus she really didn't see a difference between 120mg vs. a much lower dosage of baclofen(30mg/day). So that's when she talked w/ her doctor about taking Zanaflex. She personally does not have any of the side of effects of tiredness or lowered blood pressure (her normal bp is 110/70). Oh, she also takes valium - 2-4 mg - as needed, which is usually only at night.

Amber was thinking about the baclofen pump - her PTs at her first rehab hospital kept pushing it hard. But when Amber started therapy at Kennedy Krieger, her dr told Amber that was not an option for her since she has normal bowel and bladder function and the baclofen pump would really mess that up (& no one, drs or therapists, had mentioned this to her before!). She really doesn't want to mess that up!

~Heidi