Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wound VAC

Wound VAC

has any1 used or been approved for a wound vac. my doctor wants to it befor he does a skin flap. and to i found out the medicaid won't pay for it. my wound is a stage 3 and about 6x5cm big. i hope my spelling is right

Do you have Medicare? They will cover it 80% if you fit their criteria.

The VAC is the trademark name for a Vacuum Assisted Closure wound care treatment that is patented by KCI.

(KLD)

last week after my rod removal, i had some those hooked to my back. hemovac i think

- I am a bomb technition, if you see me running try to keep up.

- Dont argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

- Some peeps are only alive because its illegal to kill them.

no i just have medicaid

Medicare just recently started paying for the wound vac for home therapy.I will check with my friend who works at KCI. Will probably be Monday.

CWO

Oh yes we are very familiar with the Vac at our house .... similar scenario as yours ... attempted closure of a pressure ulcer as opposed to flap surgery .... ended up with the flap anyhoo ! However I believe the Vac to be very effective if you catch the wound in time ... its my understanding the Vac should not be used if there is tunnelling(sp) of the wound or possible osteomylitus (sp) ... Is that right SCI Nurse??? ... Also Bill's Plastic Surgeon informed us that the Vac drains the body of protein big time so be sure to increase - increase - increase your protein intake to balance the good the Vac is doing ... if nothing else it will keep infection at bay while you wait for surgery (because it keeps the wound so unbelievably clean) ... it truly is a remarkable piece of technology ! Good luck with it!

Obieone

I used one in hsp/rehab but not for sore. From wreck I had a 10" cut in right calf down to the bone. Laid open like a filet. Was on wound vac for ~2.5 months. It did an amazing job of healing. Except for the major scar, most meat/muscle tissue grew back. Hardly any indentation at all. Highly recommend it.

McD

"Rather be ridin' than rollin'"

For tunneling you can acutally use the white foam which is more dense than the black foam and can be inserted in to the tunnels.

You can't have the vac if there is osteomyelitis, it won't heal with the osteo. You can have an infection that is being treated.
    There is a new vac that you can actually instill medication in into the wound periodically.

CWO

wound vac

My case worker at the hospital got in touch with the company and they sent me a machine under a charity program they have. I've had them 3 times already.

The VAC works incredibly well under the right circumstances. Osteo is the one major contraindication for using it. It does help to keep the area clean and really promotes healing.

CKF