Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oxycodone vs morphine

oxycodone vs morphine

for some reason i decided to try morphine ip and extended release rather than the oxycodone and oxycontin doses.
    of course tonight when i decide to switch over, i am confused with the dosage, how dose morphine sulfate ir 15 mg compare to oxycode 5 mgs?
    just reading all the stuff on morphine , not sure if this was the med to try. i have enough problems with bowels , this sounds worse than oxycontin
    cauda equina

well i had to chase th epain all night, i could find anythin on the net about a chart showing the realtionship betwen th etwo. to top it off i couldnt find anything about the dise i have , 15 mgs of morphine sulfate ir.
    normally i would take 20 mgs , 4 oxy tabs on top of my oxycontin evening does , and if the pain is at its normal state, this works well ans i sleep through the night.
    i was too concerned about taking too much ms ir , so i was up all night till past 3am, taking one extra at a time, waitign a hour , no relief taking another, by the time i get to 3am the er morphine and the 30 mgs ir i took at 10 pm was already wearing off , but breathing is a good thing.
    after spending all night reading all the warnings about morphine , i am getting th impression that oxycontin and oxycodone sounds like a much safer combination.
    any feedback.
    i went back on the oxycontin again today , i forgot i have an event on Sunday that i need no bowel problems, at least with oxy i hopefully wont have any surprises.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    for some reason i decided to try morphine ip and extended release rather than the oxycodone and oxycontin doses.
    of course tonight when i decide to switch over, i am confused with the dosage, how dose morphine sulfate ir 15 mg compare to oxycode 5 mgs?
    just reading all the stuff on morphine , not sure if this was the med to try. i have enough problems with bowels , this sounds worse than oxycontin
    I am so sorry that I didn't look at this earlier. In general, oral oxycodone and oral morphine should be based on the assumption of equipotency, i.e. 1:1 ratio ([url=source[/url]). The three to one ratio is only between oral oxycodone and intravenous morphine. If you are accustomed to taking 5 mg oral oxycodone, the 15 mg of morphine sulfate will probably knock you out.

You should be aware that males are generally more tolerant of morphine than females and your tolerance decreases with age. However, the most important factor is the what you are accustomed to. People who have been taking morphine for a long time can take as much as 400 mg of morphine a day, enough to drop an elephant in its tracks.

There is now very substantial experience with morphine dosing in patients with cancer. Very high doses of morphine in fact may be associated with longer survival of patients with painful cancers than patients with lower doses. For example, median survival was 27 days for those receiving high dose (>300 mg/day) and 37 days for those receiving very high dose (>600 mg/day).

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young

There is now very substantial experience with morphine dosing in patients with cancer. Very high doses of morphine in fact may be associated with longer survival of patients with painful cancers than patients with lower doses. For example, median survival was 27 days for those receiving high dose (>300 mg/day) and 37 days for those receiving very high dose (>600 mg/day).

Wise.
    \\Interesting. I wonder if the longer time is attributed to the extra medication, or to being in less pain?

Sorry Metro, Back to topic. Hope you get this figured out, up all night waiting for pain meds to kick in is NOT fun! Been there, done that.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    I'm up to 150mg a day of Morphine and I wish I had never started it. I would rather be on Oxy.
    The withdrawl symptoms are unbearable when I run out.
    I know for dam# sure I wouldn't have become as dependant on Oxy.

I went for 3 years on Lortab 10/500, 4 time a day, and never had one withdraw if I ran out.
    I would just hurt like hell.
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    \\Sorry Metro, Back to topic. Hope you get this figured out, up all night waiting for pain meds to kick in is NOT fun! Been there, done that.
    this happens way to many times with me, on good days the 20 mgs of oxy breakthrough will work and i can go lie down.

sometimes i chase th pain all night, cant get the dose and wait a hour for effect.
    this morphine is weird , i took 60 mgs overall last night, 30 mgs at one time and and 15 and 15 a hour apart , plus the 15 mg extended release at 10 pm i was up all night with pain, at 3 am i finally tried to go to sleep and couldn't.
    today i went back to oxycontin, but have been flying all day,
    th emorphine half life is not supposed to be this long, unless the one morphine ER dose is is stil working? need to call my doc tomorrow, today i had good pain relied , and managed to do a lot of cleaning, something i rarely ever do.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    Wondering if any others have opinions/experience re. bowel problems from morphine versus oxycodone? I switched from oxy to morphine hoping for improvement, but discomfort and constipation got much worse, so switched back to oxycodone.

i had a lot of problems with the morphinem nauseos , than i was puking my guts out for a day, not sure if i got impacted and that why i was puking, all i know is morphine and me dont get along.
    went back on oxycontin, may try opana next
    cauda equina

When I changed from Morphine Sulphate (MST) I was on 30mg 2 times daily and changed to 40mg Oxycontin 2 times daily.
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    Hey are you still around....able to talk with me personally?