Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand/finger ? for SCI Nurse/anybody

I have HSP too, and my fingers are weak, and tend to curl naturally. It's the complicated form of HSP. My description sounds like a spinal cord injury, incomplete, at around C8. My fingers are weak, and I drop stuff all the time, I push my wheelchair with my thumbs and the heels of my hands, but I can't push it with my fingers. My fingers curl easily, but are hard to open. I'm also very weak from the upper chest down, and can only walk a few steps at a time. So, my finger weakness matches those of my chest, breathing, and legs.

hi,

I realize his is an old post but anyway just thought I'd comment:

I dont know this has any relevance or not to this post but in regard to what Dr. Wise said regarding cervical injuries and finger flexion. I have a cervical injury not traumatic, incomplete, c56 6/7 and my right pinky and ring finger, mostly pinky seem to be falling into flexion and I cannot seem to spread my fingers apart the way I can on my left hand.

I started noticing I was having problems writing about 12/08 when my gait went and my cord was decompressed 9 months ago. the problem with my hand seems to be getting worse for some reason.

Mostly my pinky cant seem to be held in adduction without drifting into abduction, I try to control it and it shakes.

I just had an OT eval and she said there was intrinsic weakness and something about flexion, so now i will be going to OT 2x/week along with PT still 2x/week. More therapy I just cant wait.

Was wondering though if this can be helped through OT exercises or it is just part of perhaps the deficits that I have that at this point look somewhat permanent. Anyone have any thoughts or have anything like this? thankyou

I don't know if this is even close, but I have cubital tunnel syndrome & your described symptoms are similar. I hope you have some relief.

You know I thought about that but the problem with my handwriting started when my gait started to "go" in 12/08 and since I was dx with cervical spondylotic myelopathy my neurosurgeon told me before surgery when I told him about it that I could get "clumsy hands, writing problems etc."

This kind of explains a little

Many pathologic processes of the spinal cord can resemble cubital tunnel syndrome, all of which may present with a predominance of motor signs and symptoms. When patients complain of "numb and clumsy hands," consideration must be given to intrinsic cord lesions such as intramedullary tumors, syringomyelia, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and extrinsic cord lesions such as]cervical spondylotic myelopathy[/B]. Other causes of hand dysfunction and pain include (1) cervical radiculopathy from osteophytes or herniated disc

thanks for your response coleen, hope u feel better as well