Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should i do a deltoid to tricep tendon transfer

should i do a deltoid to tricep tendon transfer

I am 1 year post injury and am a c5-complete. it is controversial whether i have triceps trace or not but in isolated positions they don't seem to move.
    but it spasms pretty constantly when in specific load Bering triceps movements. my dalema is that after December shriners hospital for children will not treat me so i have to start soon. supposedly they have one of the best facilities. should i wait and see or take advantage of shriners offer.

thanks

Drew

I moved this to the Care forum as it is not really a new injury issue.

Have you had return at all since your injury (root sparing, etc.)? Generally the minimum amount of time to wait before deciding on surgical procedures like this is a year. If you have had no return, then you might be able to push it a bit. Keep in mind that the recovery from this surgery is long and involved, so you will need access to a good OT and surgeon for quite a bit beyond December even if you had the surgery tomorrow. Will Shriner's provide the surgical follow up therapy, etc. even if your eligibility runs out after the surgery?

You can do a search here for others who have had a variety of muscle transfer surgeries, and it is likely someone who has been through this will also respond here.

(KLD)

What would a surgery like that offer? Would it help make it possible to transfer unassisted?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

shriners would fallow up after December. n guaranties about transferring but it has helped others transfer independently.

Thanks. Thats interesting, what does the surgery consist of? What do they do, transfer muscle?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

personally Id wait and work with what you have..Im a 5-6 with no triceps and I transfer independently...its more technique than strength. Get a good board and give youself 4-6 months of everyday practice...you would be surprised at what you can do
    C5-6 - 22 years

Quartermile, how big are you?

My Myspace

I don't chime in on many threads but on this one I had too. I would without a doubt wait. I'm c-5 as well and when I was 1 year post I was still very weak. Take advantage of the muscles you have working (shoulders & biceps) and work the hell out of them. Work hard at pushing a manual chair and get an uppertone. The uppertone & a manual chair is very important. http://www.gpk.com/upprtone.htm

Hi, my son is 5 monts post bicept to tricept bilateral transfers with pinch and grasp also. Done at Phila Shriners by Dr. Kozin. Great result and he will be 21 in Dec. They extend his time with them to 25 for followup. They say that what they do will not interfere if movments come back on their own. You can pm me for more details if you wish. They are a remarkable hospital and he is a remarkable doctor.

Pinch and grasp? Meaning hand function, if so how much?

My Myspace