Thread: Elevated blood pressure after standing

Elevated blood pressure after standing

I been injured for 13 years and I can't tell you the last time I stood up via a tilt table or standing frame. It has been several years.

Probably the reason why is because when I did I had problems with my blood pressure. It wasn't a matter of my blood pressure dropping as I was elevated, but rather it shooting up as I was coming down. I can't remember if my blood pressure elevated while standing or not. I just remember sitting back down in my wheelchair feeling like crap with all the lovely symptoms of AD and not knowing how to handle the situation. As I recall the symptoms went away after a while, but I always get concerned and sometimes scared.

What could cause this, and does this happen to others as well? I thought standing may have put too much of a strain on my hamstrings and leg muscles causing the dysreflexia.

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it would be worth while for me to attempt to put some weight on my bones, even if that means just a few degrees on a tilt table for starters. I know I have osteoporosis and when I look down at my feet from a prone position, they curve in a little. Advice anyone?

Did you actually monitor your blood pressure to know that it shot up, or are you just going by AD-like symptoms? Low blood pressure can actually cause some of the same symptoms as AD (dizziness, vision changes, etc.). You would have to monitor your blood pressure to know if pain from standing was actuallly causing AD (systolic blood pressure elevation of at least 40 mm. Hg.), but in my experience when ROM causes AD, it does not get worse when you stop the ROM, but only occurs during it.

Standing has not proven to prevent or treat osteoporosis in SCI, but it has other benefits, such as prevention of foot drop contractures, reduction of spasticity, and improvement in bowel function, much less the psychosocial benefits of standing and looking people in the eye instead of at waist height. If you can find a way to stand, even partially, I would recommend it.

(KLD)

Yes it was definitely elevated. I keep a blood pressure cuff around the house. It's one of those battery-operated Omron brand ones you can get at any Walgreens. While it may not be the most accurate, it gives me an indication of when it's going up or down.

I'm wondering if a tilt table is something that can be rented just to see how things go again. I agree it's a good thing for all the reasons you mentioned.