Thread: Another question for Dr. Wise

Another question for Dr. Wise

Hello Dr Young,
    I have yet another question. I just saw my neurosurgeon and got the latest operative report. There is a term used that I can not find a definition for and I hoped you might know what it means.
    " It should be noted that the left and right L5 roots are quite friable and contused due to overlying scar tissue." What does friable mean? I hope you don't mind, but I have searched all over the internet and I haven't had any luck finding the definition in regard to spinal nerves.
    Thank you once again,
    Sandi
    edited for error in what the report said. That's what I get for reading two lines at the same time.
    Last edited by sandim; 09-08-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Shameless bump, hoping that the good Dr. can tell me what friable nerves mean and what , if any chance there is of regeneration and what can be done now to treat them?
    Thank you again,
    Sandi

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/friable
    Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source
    friable
    1563, from L. friabilis "easily crumbled or broken," from friare "rub away, crumble into small pieces," related to fricare "to rub."

fray - verb [ intrans. ]
    (of a fabric, rope, or cord) unravel or become worn at the edge, typically through constant rubbing : cheap fabric soon frays | [as adj. ] ( frayed) the frayed collar of her old coat.
    • figurative (of a person's nerves or temper) show the effects of strain.
    • [ trans. ] (of a male deer) rub (a bush or small tree) with the head in order to remove the velvet from newly formed antlers, or to mark territory during the rut.

ORIGIN late Middle English : from Old French freiier, from Latin fricare ‘to rub.’

Thank you CL. Do you have any idea what that means in regard to the nerves ability to regenerate? Or is that totally out the window?
    I have CES and now this added problem apparently. Not sure what to make of it, but it does not sound hopeful in terms of any kind of recovery of those nerves.
    Sandi

Quote Originally Posted by sandim
    Thank you CL. Do you have any idea what that means in regard to the nerves ability to regenerate? Or is that totally out the window?
    I have CES and now this added problem apparently. Not sure what to make of it, but it does not sound hopeful in terms of any kind of recovery of those nerves.
    Sandi
    Sandi,
    Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that, I'm not sure about the application of the word friable as it pertains to nerves either, my response was the result of a quick guess and internet search. Best of luck to you.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cljanney
    Sandi,
    Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that, I'm not sure about the application of the word friable as it pertains to nerves either, my response was the result of a quick guess and internet search. Best of luck to you.

Chris
    Thank you Chris. When I was searching, all I found were references to Asbestos..Ah well, maybe the nerves are ready to crumble similar to old asbestos. Not a good thing, I gather.
    Anyway, thank you for your help .
    Sandi

"friable" means loose, crumbly, worked.

Thank you. I am still hoping that Dr. Young can explain to me what it means in regard to the nerves and what the likely outcome would be. If there was any hope of regeneration if nerves are in that condition?
    Sandi