Thread: Archery

Archery

Hi all,

I am looking to get back into archery following a motorcycle accident that left me a T3 paraplegic. The difficulty I am finding is trunk stability. As soon as I raise the bow to draw I tip forward. I am sure others will have overcome this problem and was after advice about methods of stapping etc that would in the first instance enable me to shoot and later hopefully compete.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richnz
    I am looking to get back into archery following a motorcycle accident that left me a T3 paraplegic. The difficulty I am finding is trunk stability. As soon as I raise the bow to draw I tip forward.
    Have you tried a chest strap? Or even scooting your butt forward in your chair and not sitting up straight to begin with? That's what I do when I need to lift both arms above my waist. Like to hook a necklace or put my hair up in a ponytail.

C.

i must use my old slingshot ...hehe ..i never missed a target....lol.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

A lot of folks use a chest strap,of some type or another. im a c4/5 so i have to use a crossbow but i still get to shoot some AIROHS (<-arrows) my board name since the middle ages.
    Good luck im sure you'll find something / way.

Rich,

Our program sponsors two archers here in Virginia that compete in the Para-Olympics. One just made the team for the next olympics! Shoot me a PM or email and I'll be glad to put you in contact with them.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

yea I use a chect strap when I shoot my compound bow...Id fall flat on my face if I didnt...
    C5-6 - 22 years

I took archery in college (class of '98). We did it in the gym--duh! I was kind of fun except our instructor was very strict and I got a B. We had to write an essay on the American Indians and their use of the bow.

I used to have great fun at the archery range when I was a kid. Good luck and have fun to all who try it.

im t5-6 and i just side my butt out enough so im laying back a bit. it took a little practice. i had to turn my bow down until i got use to it