Thread: Rider Down: Tara Llanes

Rider Down: Tara Llanes

Rider Down: Tara Llanes
    By Karl Rosengarth

Below is a statement issued by the family of Tara Llanes:

As many of you already know, Tara crashed in the Jeep King of the Mountain race on Saturday, September 1 in Vail, Colorado. She was airlifted to Denver Health Hospital, where she underwent 7 hours of surgery to correct massive trauma in her lower back. She also has a C-7 fracture which was deemed stable prior going into surgery.

Tara once again made it through another surgery and is now breathing on her own and able to communicate with friends and family. Unfortunately at this time she has no feeling below her waist, a symptom she suffered as a result of her crash.

We will continue to learn more about her injuries in the upcoming weeks and will continue to keep you posted. Since coming out of surgery, Tara, drugged and very happy, has kept in good spirit and has promised not to let this beat her.

We ask that you have as much faith as Tara does throughout this difficult period. Please leave a message on this page www.myspace.com/mtbtara and we will make sure she receives each and every one of them. In the meantime, we are hoping Tara will be able to come back home in 1 to 2 weeks. Flowers and/or gifts may be sent to:

Denver Health Medical Center
    777 Bannock Street
    Denver Colorado, 80204

Dirt Rag has been in contact with Tara's coach and friend James Herrera, who sent us the following report, which includes information on how to make a charitable donation to Tara's recovery fund:

Tara Llanes: The Heart of a Champion
    By James Herrera

As she lays in a hospital bed following a seven hour surgery to the back and spinal cord, one of Tara's doctors enters the room to explain the use of the Incentive Spiromter, a device frequently utilized in the medical community to test the health of the lungs following surgery. "Tara, now put this hose in your mouth and take the deepest breath you can." The effects of the post surgery meds are still taking their toll as Tara, half asleep, takes hold of the device and inhales. "Not bad, 1000mls," as the doctor takes back the device and turns to put it on the bedside table. Tara sleepily asks the doc, "so how much should I be doing?" He replies, "well, in a healthy young athlete like yourself, 4000-5000 is not uncommon, but you just had surgery last night." As the doctor turns to leave the room, Tara sternly responds, "let me see that thing again." With all the strength she can muster, she cranks out a 1750. Later in the day, she'd stepped it up to 2500. No one knows better than I do, this girl's got the heart of a champion.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/articl...ory2=freshdirt

just wanted to let you know that Tara is in my thoughts and prayers.

bbs

As she lays in a hospital bed following a seven hour surgery to the back and spinal cord, one of Tara's doctors enters the room to explain the use of the Incentive Spiromter, a device frequently utilized in the medical community to test the health of the lungs following surgery.
    Ish! I hated that thing. My lungs have been through Hel over the years (collapsed lung, bouts of pneumonia, chronic bronchitis, tuberculosis...) and I've been faced with one of those too many times.

C.

Another fallen Mtn. Biker

This was a huge shock to me and the mtn. bike community. I used to watch Tara race several years back. IMO, She is one of the most skilled, talented and driven Pros on the circuit today. I have a good feeling she's gonna fight like Hell!

Danny
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Damn. She was good, too. All the best in your recovery, Tara.