Thread: Please help...swollen leg and foot

Question Please help...swollen leg and foot

.BORDERREG {margin:2px;cursor:hand;width:'26px';height:'26px' ;}.BORDERMO {border:1px solid buttonshadow;border-left:1px solid buttonhighlight;border-top:1px solid buttonhighlight; margin:1px;cursor:hand;}.BORDERCLCK {border:1px solid buttonshadow;border-right:1px solid buttonhighlight;border-bottom:1px solid buttonhighlight; margin:2px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-right:0px;cursor:hand;}function MouseOverEffect(){ var item = event.srcElement; if(IsValidId(item.id)){ item.className = "BORDERMO"; }}function MouseOutEffect(){ var item = event.srcElement; if(IsValidId(item.id)){ item.className = "BORDERREG"; }}function MouseOverClick(){ var item = event.srcElement; if(IsValidId(item.id)){ item.className = "BORDERCLCK"; }}function IsValidId(elemId){ var isValid = false; if(elemId == "contentbutton" || elemId == "attachbutton"){ isValid = true; } return isValid;}

i need some advice....it was warm here (for just a few days) about 3
    weeks ago. i am in a chair 24/7 (MS for 20 years) left leg and arm weak
    and crappy. My left leg (from knee down) and my foot stayed swollen big
    time. Never has before....went to clinic (very hard to do as i live in
    a hole that HandiDart bus does not service so had to shanghai poor
    fella that is finding me another home. Went to clinic.....doc there
    said ....ohhhh better get an MRI of that leg (looking for blood clot)
    (never heard of MRI for that but whatever....he said i just go home and
    someday, sometime the hosp will phone and i can go ....IF i can find
    some way to get there....NOW if i could get any tips as to how i can
    cut this swelling down it would make my life a bizillion times easier.
    I suggested that water pills would help.....he said no, the only way
    they would help is if both legs were swollen....which they arent and
    have NEVER been.....its cuz dont use that leg....any input??? forever
    grateful....thanks

Is your leg warm to the touch or is there any redness anywhere? Is the skin stretched or weeping? Can you feel it?

Go lay down in bed. Put your foot higher than your heart for a good eight - twelve hours. Make sure someone can check on you. Take an ambulance if you need to.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I think you should go to the ER immediately to rule out any dangerous possibilities. As Lynnifer said, "take an ambulance if you need to." It is always best to err on the side of caution. Good Luck. I hope all goes well for you.

Proud mom of a US Marine Sgt., Camp Lejeune, NC
    I agree!
    I had the same thing last year and they rushed me off to the ER from the clinic.

They ran a Doppler sound wave thingy on me to rule out a blood clot. I've never heard of an MRI for one
    If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

www.jccarolinaformals.com
    www.myspace.com/jccarolina
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

You need to have a doppler done to make sure you don't have a DVT that can possibly go to your lung. Did he start you on any medicine or anything???
    It is not unusual or the leg with the most weakness to swl more than the other one especially if it was not elevated, this is called dependent edema.

CWO

Exclamation

Hello,

I also have multiple sclerosis and use a power wheelchair 24/7. I have been diagnosed 15 years. Unlike you, it is my right side that is more affected.

In any case, I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters. Go to the emergency room immediately. Take the ambulance if necessary. I hope you have that option in Canada?

When when you get back home after you have been assured that the swelling, also known as edema, is not being caused by a blood clot, you can try my suggestions below. (I also have an edema as wel.l)

-- elevate your ankles above your heart for an hour or so several times each day.

-- at night when you sleep also keep your feet elevated above your heart by using pillows under them to raise them.

-- my doctor prescribed Ted stockings which will keep the fluid from draining to my feet and staying there. I am unable to put them on and need someone else to do so for me. Warning, they are hot!

-- I take Lasix end potassium supplements to help drain the excess fluid.

-- I'm sure if you do a word search in this forum on the words either edema or swelling, you'll find lots of other good tips.

Good luck! This is a wonderful resource for information. Fortunately I just got DragonDictate and can now begin to participate more often.

Let us know how you are doing.

Lymphedema pumps are great too, although a tad expensive.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12