Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if I should keep the promise to my PT? What do you think?

Not sure if I should keep the promise to my PT? What do you think?

Ok, so today after my therapy session, my PT told me to promise him that I wasn't going to attempt to doing anything my new KAFO's without someone with me or without the support of a sturdy mounted top of some sort, ie a counter top. We tried a walker and my balance still needs some massive improvement. I was just thinking that, well then why did I bring them home with me if I can't practice more complex things at home? Ok, so I may fall and what not but atleast I could possibly progress faster. Am I stupid for thinking this or should I keep my promise to my PT?

Becky
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons
    Ok, so today after my therapy session, my PT told me to promise him that I wasn't going to attempt to doing anything my new KAFO's without someone with me or without the support of a sturdy mounted top of some sort, ie a counter top. We tried a walker and my balance still needs some massive improvement. I was just thinking that, well then why did I bring them home with me if I can't practice more complex things at home? Ok, so I may fall and what not but atleast I could possibly progress faster. Am I stupid for thinking this or should I keep my promise to my PT?

Becky
    Chicago, IL
    One should always attempt to honor promises freely given. Maybe wait for at least one more session, then retract your promise before you leave.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    One should always attempt to honor promises freely given. Maybe wait for at least one more session, then retract your promise before you leave.
    I know that someone should attempt to keep the promises made thats why I feel stuck in a bind and unsure what to do. I would hate to break the promise but at the same time, I want to get as much use out of the KAFO's as possible, if that makes sense. It just seems to me like a waste of time to not be doing anything more then what I have been doing with my PT.

Becky
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    One should always attempt to honor promises freely given.
    Indeed.

C.

I know that someone should attempt to keep the promises made thats why I feel stuck in a bind and unsure what to do. I would hate to break the promise but at the same time, I want to get as much use out of the KAFO's as possible, if that makes sense. It just seems to me like a waste of time to not be doing anything more then what I have been doing with my PT.

Becky
    Chicago, IL
    How long until your next PT session?
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

wednesday, because of the holiday. That is four days of possible improvement wasted.

Becky

wednesday, because of the holiday. That is four days of possible improvement wasted.

Becky
    Pace yourself, it's a long haul and you are 26. Just think of the time wasted if you should hurt yourself due to inexperience with the KAFOs. Might be prudent to get in one more supervised session before going solo. Of course, the safety and ethics are your call.
    Foolish

Sounds like you promised this for your own safety. Can't you practice with someone around (as per your promise) just in case you fall? A family member or a friend?

I always figure the new stuff should be started with my PT, at home I should be practicing it. Doing something more than you have done with you pt could well lead to a fall, and then you may be wasting more than 4 days! Practice what you have been working on, and you will be all the readier to move on on Weds.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

sjean and foolish,
    I do understand where you are coming from and I have thought about that too. As far as family and friends helping I am going to do that but family members who would be of the best benefit are hardly home. I don't want to do anything to make the process longer or delay the process or anything but I was just thinking that the more progress that I make, the sooner my family will stop treating me like I don't want to get better. I know that shouldn't play into it at all but it does, sadly.

Becky

sjean and foolish,
    I do understand where you are coming from and I have thought about that too. As far as family and friends helping I am going to do that but family members who would be of the best benefit are hardly home. I don't want to do anything to make the process longer or delay the process or anything but I was just thinking that the more progress that I make, the sooner my family will stop treating me like I don't want to get better. I know that shouldn't play into it at all but it does, sadly.

Becky
    Four days only seems like forever. Relax, save your energy to enjoy the holiday, and it will be Wednesday before you know it!
    Foolish