Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How to use 1.5" wide FrogLegs soft roll casters on a TiLite chair

Lynne - can't swear about an "upgrade". My plan was to replace the "poly tires" with the aluminum ones from Sportaid immediately anyway. I ordered them just to make sure I got forks that would handle 1.5"ers. Was surprised that these were FL's from the git-go.

SCI_OTR - I am rolling easier, but they had also clamped the plastic ones way too tight, can't make a real comparison. But I can believe the alums would be better.

e.t.a you posted while I was typing. Why not just keep the plastics as backup? And I would order the FL's from Sportaid, they are cheaper.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Lynne - can't swear about an "upgrade". My plan was to replace the "poly tires" with the aluminum ones from Sportaid immediately anyway. I ordered them just to make sure I got forks that would handle 1.5"ers. Was surprised that these were FL's from the git-go.

SCI_OTR - I am rolling easier, but they had also clamped the plastic ones way too tight, can't make a real comparison. But I can believe the alums would be better.

e.t.a you posted while I was typing. Why not just keep the plastics as backup? And I would order the FL's from Sportaid, they are cheaper.
    The aluminum hub keep the bearings more-precisely aligned than the composite hub version which is why they roll better. The downside is cost and greater difficulty changing the bearings when they wear out/corrode. If I were purchasing my ZRc now, I might consider getting the 4x1.5 "poly" casters and keeping them for use as a winter caster since the bearings can quickly be replaced when they become corroded (especially if one is able to find the hardware to switch to a single spacer on each side).

BTW, one of the nuggets of info I got from Mark when I was at ISS in Orlando had to do with upcoming changes in the aluminum hub soft rolls. He is milling more of the aluminum out of the wheel so that they are lighter. They may become slightly more expensive, but the difference in weight between the current production caster and the prototypes he had was noticeable.

There is more I'd like to share from ISS, but my CC time has been limited since my return due to an illness in the family.

Thanks McDuff and SCI_OTR. My DME called today and is going to ask TiLite about ordering the casters like I previously mentioned. I didn't think about keeping the polys! oops! I also didn't notice they're cheaper at Sportaid. I guess, too, that I didn't think a DME/TiLite order could be made that way (that they'd get stuff from a discount place to build the chair). I don't plan to put any of these parts on myself. I didn't know about the bearings on aluminum hubs being harder to replace. Maybe I won't have to do that often as I live in SO. GA. BTW, SCI_OTR, I hope your family member improves and I really appreciate the time you give here!

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    SCI_OTR,
    What do you have on your down tubes to protect them? It looks like (at least in some of your pictures) something coiled. The reason I ask is because I didn't ask to get impact guards when the chair was ordered (saving DME pennies here and there) and would like to know if there is something other than the TiLite neoprene guards I can put on to keep the paint looking new as long as possible. Is there a way to make your own impact guards?
    Mandy
    I purchased corrugated PVC sump pump hose from Loews. I still use it to protect my chair for airline travel or when I stand it on the front frame to work on it...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=102617

Thanks SCI_OTR,
    I figured I would ask you this here instead of bringing the old thread back up. What did you use to make the "spinergy clip"? Is that something that you were able to use from when chairs are shipped to you at the VA?
    I am flying from So. Cal to Idaho in July to visit my dad and I REALLY don't want my chair or my wheels to be messed up. I am going to use some of your tricks to keep it safe (hopefully).
    TIA,
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I should qualify that I am not sure that this would work on TiLite chairs with adjustable caster angles. The caster stem stud which mounts into the frame on the ZR, TR, or TX can be backed out ~1/4". The additional length is required because the ProSpin/Crossfire short fork does not have a recess on the underside for the lock nut like the TiLite fork.

It was pure luck that I discovered that this could be done. It really transformed the stability of my ZRc and keeps my feet from popping off of the footrest over bumps. I had two endos the first month I had the chair and was popping mini-wheelies all the time. I haven't had a problem since I installed the ProSpin forks and 4"x1.5" FrogLegs aluminum soft rolls.

I which I knew an online source where end users could get the Invacare/TopEnd fork.
    HI SCI_OTR.

Correct me if i`m wrong.
    So looking at the pic, if you take out the little bolt which is in the top, could you loosen the stem fork out?

I`m asking you this because you know that the ZR it`s a serius option for my new chair and i asked time ago to Mark Westphal for the posibility to take it out, for change it for a M12 titanium bolt- Flanged hex and put it with a spring washer for don`t get loose itself.
    He was who told me the diameter( 12mm) but he said he didn't know the lenght of the stem. Do you know it?

He told me that the stem it`s fixed and if i take out i will lose the warranty of the chair, something that i don`t understand why, but if i tell you the true it`s not something that i will get worried about, because i know that it`s a chair with no problems.

So i could take the stem out if i loosen the little bolt or it`s fixed like Mark told me?

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    HI SCI_OTR.

Correct me if i`m wrong.
    So looking at the pic, if you take out the little bolt which is in the top, could you loosen the stem fork out?

I`m asking you this because you know that the ZR it`s a serius option for my new chair and i asked time ago to Mark Westphal for the posibility to take it out, for change it for a M12 titanium bolt- Flanged hex and put it with a spring washer for don`t get loose itself.
    He was who told me the diameter( 12mm) but he said he didn't know the lenght of the stem. Do you know it?

He told me that the stem it`s fixed and if i take out i will lose the warranty of the chair, something that i don`t understand why, but if i tell you the true it`s not something that i will get worried about, because i know that it`s a chair with no problems.

So i could take the stem out if i loosen the little bolt or it`s fixed like Mark told me?
    I did the SCI_OTR caster fork modification to my ZR. The stem bolt is threaded into the caster housing; it can't be pulled or loosened out. To make the switch to the wider Top End forks (to accommodate 1.5" casters, before TiLite finally offered this option), the stem bolt had to be extracted about a 1/4" of so.

If I were you I would leave it as is. If your goal is to save a few precious grams by replacing it with titanium bolt, I don't think it's worth the effort. The bolt is packed very securely into the caster housing and I can understand why TiLite would void the warranty of end-users messing about with it and potentially compromising its integrity.

I know you're talented with the mechanics involved here, but again, if your only goal is to shave off a gram of weight (if that), I think it's a pointless exercise and creates the potential for opening an unnecessary can of worms.

It is difficult to remove without damaging, but it will unscrew from the frame (I've actually replaced my original stem studs due to corrosion).

The wide portion is 1/2" diameter and approximately 45 mm long (I don't know the pitch of the threads). The 11 mm long portion holds the 3/8-24 lock nut for the fork.

When I originally did the swap, I used vice grips to unscrew the stem studs from the frame, then used my Dremel to smooth out any tool markings. Any corrosion protection used on the stem stud was lost in the process, however. Road salt and water worked its way in which lead to the corrosion.

I installed the replacement stem studs without scratching them by putting on the lock nut for the fork, then turning the stem stud with a wrench. You could probably use a similar technique to remove the stem studs if you can find two thin 3/8-24 nuts which will both fit on the 11 mm long section (a second nut would be needed to keep the other from loosening if it is being turned counter clockwise with a wrench).

Also, keep in mind that the underside of the TiLite fork has a recessed portion where the lock nut fits.

Original author's note...

To anyone reading this thread since it was resurrected, it is no longer necessary to use the Invacare/Top End fork in order to use Frog Legs soft roll casters. TiLite has since widened their own double bearing fork. Frog Legs soft roll casters will fit on the new fork with no modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I did the SCI_OTR caster fork modification to my ZR. The stem bolt is threaded into the caster housing; it can't be pulled or loosened out. To make the switch to the wider Top End forks (to accommodate 1.5" casters, before TiLite finally offered this option), the stem bolt had to be extracted about a 1/4" of so.

If I were you I would leave it as is. If your goal is to save a few precious grams by replacing it with titanium bolt, I don't think it's worth the effort. The bolt is packed very securely into the caster housing and I can understand why TiLite would void the warranty of end-users messing about with it and potentially compromising its integrity.

I know you're talented with the mechanics involved here, but again, if your only goal is to shave off a gram of weight (if that), I think it's a pointless exercise and creates the potential for opening an unnecessary can of worms.
    I`m confused, if you said that it can`t loosend out, How you extracted 1/4"?
    And a few grames here and another few there are a lot of grames at the finally.
    That stem and the nut probably weight about 80 grames each side, if you replace for titanium the two stems will weight like one of the olders.

If i get a ZR i assure you that it will go down in weight a pound as like comes from factory.