Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How to use 1.5" wide FrogLegs soft roll casters on a TiLite chair

lifespan of soft roll caster?

I'm interested in trying this, but can anyone tell me what the lifespan of these soft roll casters is? Given their price, I wouldn't be interested if I have to replace them every few months...

Thanks,
    Dave
    T8 complete - 9/4/04

Quote Originally Posted by 9000ft
    So here's a challenge. My PT insisted I have caster locks on leaving rehab and I ended up with this funky setup as a result. I've wrestled the Tilite/Froglegs affair in the past and was so disgusted by Tilite's markup that I quit. This setup has too many moving parts and I'm going to need to replace it all sooner than later and would prefer to move forward. I have removed all the locking components. I would love the 1.5" caster for better performance on the snow and dirt. any idea how to get there from here?
    If you can hold out, the single-sided Frog Legs Uni-Tine caster, when it goes back into production, may be the answer to your problem. Frog Legs is currently re-engineering it to make it sturdier and presently has no information about them posted on their Web site. I believe it will become available sometime in the fall. If you've never seen it before, you can find examples of them at Lashersport.com. Better yet, contact Frog Legs directly for more info and a progress update and post your findings here.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdave
    I'm interested in trying this, but can anyone tell me what the lifespan of these soft roll casters is? Given their price, I wouldn't be interested if I have to replace them every few months...

Thanks,
    Dave
    They wear as at least as well other casters if not better. In the two years I have seen them on our veteran's wheelchairs, I have only replaced 2 sets. The casters in my most recent picture are 8 months old and look like new. Because of their shape, however, they can be cut if you were to roll over something like the side lip of a minivan ramp.

SportAid also sells plastic hub versions for $42.

Quote Originally Posted by 9000ft
    So here's a challenge. My PT insisted I have caster locks on leaving rehab and I ended up with this funky setup as a result. I've wrestled the Tilite/Froglegs affair in the past and was so disgusted by Tilite's markup that I quit. This setup has too many moving parts and I'm going to need to replace it all sooner than later and would prefer to move forward. I have removed all the locking components. I would love the 1.5" caster for better performance on the snow and dirt. any idea how to get there from here?
    Man, they really muck up a nicely designed chair, it took me awhile to realize you have a ZRa.

Quickie or Colours forks may work, but you would need to see them side by side to know for sure.

Yes, certainly an interesting blend of sweet and sour. A beautifully machined ti chair topped off with a heavy as hell j2 gel seat and 9 million useless bells and whistles. Those caster locks and all the associated hardware are like the reflectors you ripped off the new 10 speed as soon as you got it but they have proven hard to replace. I really liked my pt and ot but they sure talked me into a pile of stupid crap.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Hi SCI_OTR!

I put a pair of these forks on my ZRA 6 months ago and they┬┤re working perfectly! I just had to remove a washer to fit them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I should qualify that I am not sure that this would work on TiLite chairs with adjustable caster angles. The caster stem stud which mounts into the frame on the ZR, TR, or TX can be backed out ~1/4". The additional length is required because the ProSpin/Crossfire short fork does not have a recess on the underside for the lock nut like the TiLite fork.

(...)

I'm not sure the stem stud can be backed out on the ZRa or AeroZ which have adjustable angle caster housings...

(...)

SCI_OTR are those aluminum (or titanium) forks an option on the TiLite chairs? They look better than the black IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    SCI_OTR are those aluminum (or titanium) forks an option on the TiLite chairs? They look better than the black IMO.
    Nope. I like the look of the silver forks better too.

Where did you get those forks, SCI_OTR? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Where did you get those forks, SCI_OTR? Did I miss something?
    Sportaid...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=112931