Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How to use 1.5" wide FrogLegs soft roll casters on a TiLite chair

I phoned tilite last week and they told me couldn't use the 1.5 wide in any of their standard forks.

That is why I talked to Frog Legs...they said that the forks they are using now at TiLite will now handle the 1.5 inch wheels...they looked at mine and verified that they would fit. I just got my chair a month or so ago.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Good to know... but to clarify, you're talking about the TiLite fork & not a FrogLegs fork?
    Sorry...Frog Leg fork...not the standard ti lite fork...if I confused anyone I am sorry.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    Sorry...Frog Leg fork...not the standard ti lite fork...if I confused anyone I am sorry.
    That's kinda what I figured... no worries.

I have 1.5" casters on my FrogLegs forks already. I just have a set of 4x1.5s lying around that I'd like to put to use on another chair if possible, w/o the suspension forks... hence the thread bump.

can you use your crossfire forks (i think sci otr said double bearing)? if so then you could leave the standard tilite forks on the crossfire, so you still
    have a backup...

I only have FrogLegs forks on my Crossfire. I got them w/ the chair. The intent is to turn the Crossfire into more of an outdoor chair & get a non-ergo ZR (or something) for everyday use. I don't have much faith in my insurance paying for everything, so using parts I already have (e.g. 4x1.5" softrolls, which I pulled off to use 6x1.5" versions) could help save a little coin.

I want to keep the FrogLegs on the Crossfire anyway. I'm thinking of hacking the caster tubes off & getting them re-welded in the same positions that the Bt-Trail uses: http://www.lashersport.com/products-btt.html

that sounds cool - l like the caster setup on the whirlwind wheelchairs... that bt-trail looks like it might take forever to turn indoors, but then why would you be concerned that an outdoor chair handles well indoors?

are the forks that work only prospin, or any invacare double bearing? maybe try ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by amyk
    that sounds cool - l like the caster setup on the whirlwind wheelchairs... that bt-trail looks like it might take forever to turn indoors, but then why would you be concerned that an outdoor chair handles well indoors?
    yeah, some extra stability is what I'm after. I can't imagine handling being all that bad, just requiring a little more effort.

are the forks that work only prospin, or any invacare double bearing? maybe try ebay?
    *shrug* SCI_OTR? any idea what to look for? I'd imagine Jimbo/Sportaid could get something...

Whatever happened to those Uni-Tine forks?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    *shrug* SCI_OTR? any idea what to look for? I'd imagine Jimbo/Sportaid could get something...
    I should qualify that I am not sure that this would work on TiLite chairs with adjustable caster angles. The caster stem stud which mounts into the frame on the ZR, TR, or TX can be backed out ~1/4". The additional length is required because the ProSpin/Crossfire short fork does not have a recess on the underside for the lock nut like the TiLite fork.

I'm not sure the stem stud can be backed out on the ZRa or AeroZ which have adjustable angle caster housings...

The ProSpin short fork is Invacare part# 1128012 (MSRP=$46 each)
    Fork, Non-Suspension with Bearings, Silver Anodized - Short (4-1/4" Long)
    A black version should appear in the parts catalog soon.

The black Crossfire fork is TopEnd part# 1143329...
    Crossfire Fork Assembly
    It was pure luck that I discovered that this could be done. It really transformed the stability of my ZRc and keeps my feet from popping off of the footrest over bumps. I had two endos the first month I had the chair and was popping mini-wheelies all the time. I haven't had a problem since I installed the ProSpin forks and 4"x1.5" FrogLegs aluminum soft rolls.

I which I knew an online source where end users could get the Invacare/TopEnd fork.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR

The ProSpin short fork is Invacare part# 1128012 (MSRP=$46 each)
    Fork, Non-Suspension with Bearings, Silver Anodized - Short (4-1/4" Long)
    A black version should appear in the parts catalog soon.

The black Crossfire fork is TopEnd part# 1143329...
    Crossfire Fork Assembly

Are these forks identical except for color? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair.