Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How to use 1.5" wide FrogLegs soft roll casters on a TiLite chair

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Alrighty, my new 4" frog leg wheels are nice and cushy compared to old hard, chippy ones! Thanks to my patient, persistent boyfriend.
    Glad you got it worked out. Or close to it, anyway. One problem. . . the caster forks are mounted on the wrong side: you've got the right fork mounted on the left side and vice versa.

With the casters in the trailing position (i.e., as you're moving forward), the forks should be facing the inside of the frame. Functionally, it doesn't make a difference, but one of the advantages of single-sided casters is that with the fork oriented toward the inside of the frame, there's less opportunity to scrape into the furniture, doorways, etc.

So, I wouldn't pay your bf until he gets it right! A job worth doing . . .
    Last edited by stephen212; 05-28-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    caster forks are mounted on the wrong side: you've got the right fork mounted on the left side and vice versa.

With the casters in the trailing position (i.e., as you're moving forward), the forks should be facing the inside of the frame. . . .
    jeje, there are still possibilities to change your boyfriend

Well you only have to change forks sites.
    What you do Lorrie? you change the stems and put to the unitine the Tilite stem fork?
    Last edited by totoL1; 05-29-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    What you do Lorrie? you change the stems and put to the unitine the Tilite stem fork?
    Judging from the pics the stems were swapped out. (There's a color differential between the original stem and the FL stem.) The TiLite fork stems on this chair look surprisingly skimpy, not at all robust.

LOL Be niiiiice! He's new to all this wc biz! I think he did really good considering! I didn't know either ;p

Yes, he had to put the ZRA stems on the uni-tine fork. I wonder why this is?? I bought this ZRA on Ebay from a dealer, was a demo. Is it so unusual? The ZRA stem does look measly next to the uni stem. Would like to hear more experiences with this switch.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Yes, he had to put the ZRA stems on the uni-tine fork. I wonder why this is?? I bought this ZRA on Ebay from a dealer, was a demo. Is it so unusual? The ZRA stem does look measly next to the uni stem. Would like to hear more experiences with this switch.
    I prefer it like you have it, the unitine look nicer with the Ti stem fork.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I prefer it like you have it, the unitine look nicer with the Ti stem fork.
    Using the original TiLite fork stem has probably resulted in a change to the front seat height. Lorrie, do you feel like you're sitting a little bit lower now? Then again, the fork stems that come with the Unitines are availble in 0.5" increments so preserving the exact height might be a matter of luck. Plus there are other variables (e.g., new casters vs. worn casters, etc.).

Thanks, toto! My chair has the efix set up, I think it was you that posted your friend's efix & emotion chairs? I'm getting another NEW ZRA with emotions soon! It's on order

Stephen, yes, the front of my chair feels slightly lower, maybe .5 inch. It feels ok for me but for others reference, possibly add .5 - 1 ", you could always use upper hole if it's too high. I ordered 7", could have been better had I ordered 8" for a bit more dump.

I reallllly am liking these 4" FL soft rolls! I wish I knew to order them from Sportaid. I got ripped by Frog Legs Inc site. I ordered 1 thinking it was for pair, they wrote me asking me if I was aware it was for 1 and if I'd like to order another, I ordered the 2nd, they charged me with tax and shipping $59.75 per wheel! Sportaid sells them for $69.00 a pair.

So for anyone ordering, reminder, order from Sportaid:
    http://www.sportaid.com/3-x-1.5-frog...re-colors.html

You guys have been so helpful! Thanks again
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

. . . I wish I knew to order them from Sportaid. I got ripped by Frog Legs Inc site. I ordered 1 thinking it was for pair, they wrote me asking me if I was aware it was for 1 and if I'd like to order another, I ordered the 2nd, they charged me with tax and shipping $59.75 per wheel! Sportaid sells them for $69.00 a pair.

So for anyone ordering, reminder, order from Sportaid:
    http://www.sportaid.com/3-x-1.5-frog...re-colors.html

You guys have been so helpful! Thanks again

Alas, Lorrie, I suggested and linked to Sportaid in post #101. But I'm glad you like your new setup.

Yesssss! But I had the FL soft rolls since March not knowing they wouldn't fit my forks. Your link was very helpful in ordering the unitines!!
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

I found the culprit....

You should have selected...
    Bearing Type: 1/2" Bearings - enclosed in fork head.
    You have to love that price! That's cheaper than a pair of the Crossfire T6A forks that I'm using. (I also got them through Sportaid at $55 each).

Mark Chelgren, the owner of Frog Legs, deserves some kudos here as well. He would probably sell more of his FrogLegs suspension forks if he didn't also offer his soft roll casters and Uni-Tine forks at an affordable price. He has also made production changes to both products in response to feedback he's gotten from end users. I'm sure he's making a nice living, but he obviously cares about the end users who purchase his products.

I'm being a little cautious recommending the newer single sided forks that some chair manufacturers have recently started offering. It's likely that they'll work out great, but the thickness of the tine and the caster axle/ mounting hardware on the Unitine fork looks stouter than the other designs. I'll be conservative until I can get some idea how they will hold up on a few veteran's chairs under real world conditions. I should qualify my statement by mentioning that I have no first-hand experience with TiLite's new fork (I've only seen the pics from their web site).