Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How to use 1.5" wide FrogLegs soft roll casters on a TiLite chair

Those look nice! Whole chair looks cool.

Ok, i'm looking at order form.
    What is "caster barel? to floor height"? ?

Do you think this will be easy enough for my boyfriend to switch for me or should I get my DME guys?
    Last edited by Lorrie; 05-09-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Those look nice! Whole chair looks cool.

Ok, i'm looking at order form.
    What is "caster barel? to floor height"? ?

Do you think this will be easy enough for my boyfriend to switch for me or should I get my DME guys?
    Lorrie, if your boyfriend is not able to do that I think you should be thinking about changing boyfriend

this is the measure of the caster barel to floor

Hahaha!!! Funny! I'm going to tell him that! ;p

Thanks bunches!!!
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

The steps involved in removing the existing forks and installing the Uni-tines is very simple. Execution, however, is another story. Murphy and his law have a way of complicating even the simplest tasks. Being well acquainted with Mr. Murphy, I brought my chair to my local bike shop. And good thing too.

Removing one of the forks turned out to be a bear because of rust and corrosion to the fork stem (the bolt that attaches the caster fork) and it had to be hammered off. The repairman kept going back for one "jaws of life" tool after another before he finally pried it off. The other fork came off in seconds. Thankfully, installing the Uni-tines was a split-second breeze.

If you decide to go ahead and place an order, just come back here and we can bullet the steps involved when you're ready. But unless you move to Spain and start dating Toto (with Sra. Toto's permission, of course), I would suggest bringing your chair to a quality bike shop.

This photo shows the caster housing to floor measurement you need. On my chair, this was 6". YIMV (your inches may vary)

I concur with others that the UniTine's would be the best choice--especially considering the price.

Hmm.. Now that TiLite is formally advising on this site, maybe they will take note that end users will find less-expensive alternatives for replacement parts whenever possible. One should be able to replace a set of OEM double bearing forks and aluminum hub soft rolls for less than $200.

Ok! Got my unitines, my bf got my wheel and fork off but the stem/bolt on unifork is larger than zra fork stem. My boyfriend is going to try swapping out stems, I didn't have proper tool and needed to get back in chair. Is swapping stem the proper protocol, safe...?

Big thank you for all your guidance and expertise!
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Ok! Got my unitines, my bf got my wheel and fork off but the stem/bolt on unifork is larger than zra fork stem. My boyfriend is going to try swapping out stems, I didn't have proper tool and needed to get back in chair. Is swapping stem the proper protocol, safe...?

Big thank you for all your guidance and expertise!
    Yes, you have to remove the existing bearing fork stem. The Unitine has its own integrated fork stem which screws into the caster assembly.

Download a copy of the ZRA Tech Manual to help guide your bf.
    Last edited by stephen212; 05-26-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Yes, you have to remove the existing bearing fork stem. The Unitine has its own integrated fork stem which screws into the caster assembly.

Download a copy of the ZRA Tech Manual to help guide your bf.
    Another option Stephen is use the same stem of the chair, and remove the fork stem, with that you wouldn`t have that "nut" in the top of the fork.

I know a guy who did it.

Yes, I have to use chair stem bc the uniform stem is too large.
    We'll see how doable this is!

Thanks again guys
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Yes, I have to use chair stem bc the uniform stem is too large.
    We'll see how doable this is!

Thanks again guys
    Is the Frog Leg fork stem too long or is the diameter too wide -- I'm assuming the former. Regardless, I would suggest that you or your boyfriend contact Mark Chelgren, the president of Frog Legs, and get his input, which he'll freely share (800-922-2129).

I ordered a set of Unitines for my backup chair, and the FL fork stem was too short, then a replacement was sent that was a tad too long. Finally, I met Mark at last week's Abilities Expo, where the FL booth offered complimentary wheelchair servicing, and we found the proper sized fork stem.

The Unitines for my ZR, however, fit perfectly the first time.