Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad Tool Simple Leg Bag Empty Clamp

Quad Tool Simple Leg Bag Empty Clamp

I made a bunch of these and replace them when I change leg bags. We use the white click open click closed clamps from my old bard 2000 ml night drainage bag.

Save a few of them then use a nail in a pair of vice grips, heat up the nail on your gas stove and use it to melt a hole in the plastic clamp (I guess you could use a drill).

Cut a 6“or 8” piece of leather shoe lace and feed it through the hole then tie it in a loop with a square or reef knot (this knot gets tighter as you pull on it).

Slide the home made clamp up the drainage hose and position it so you pull down with your thumb in the shoe lace loop to open it, position it so it faces outward on your leg and low enough to rest on the rim of the toilet.

Now just use some transpore tape and tape a ball of tape under the clamp so when you pull down to open it the clamp can not slide down.

To drain your bag in a toilet just position your chair so the leg you wear your bag on is next to the toilet, reach down and scoot up your paint leg enough to put the hose and clamp up in the toilet, pop the clamp with your thumb, drain the bag then close the clamp against the toilet bowl rim, shake the hose a few times and drop it back down between your feet.

To drain the bag outside just park over a sewer, reach down and pop the clamp with your thumb then snap it closed against your lower leg when you are done.

Here is a picture of the correct bag with the white clamp do you could wear it lower on your leg with some extension tubing at the top

https://www.edgepark.com/shopCatalog...disposable%29/

Note: I wear my leg bag up near my knee and use a long hose to reach between my foot plates. I use the Bard disposable anti reflux bags with no clamp built in on either end.
    ^^(A)^^

you dont think you could open the clamp without the leather loop? I just use the plastic clamp.

No I have zero hand function, they are closed like wearing boxing gloves but I tried and almost ripped my thumb nail off a few times..

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv View Post
    you dont think you could open the clamp without the leather loop? I just use the plastic clamp.
    ^^(A)^^

You would of course still need the ROM to reach the clamp, get the tubing into position, and the strength and ROM to flip the clamp. Many of my clients without finger function can flip the clamp with the sides of their hands (using the appropriate type of Flip-Flo or other clamp). Those without the use of their arms and wrists would most likely still need one of the powered leg bag emptiers to be independent.

(KLD)

I just hook my left arm around the cane of my chair and reach down with my right (better hand) and do it, it's very easy with some practice.

My mistake I just thought I could help someone..

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You would of course still need the ROM to reach the clamp, get the tubing into position, and the strength and ROM to flip the clamp. Many of my clients without finger function can flip the clamp with the sides of their hands (using the appropriate type of Flip-Flo or other clamp). Those without the use of their arms and wrists would most likely still need one of the powered leg bag emptiers to be independent.

(KLD)
    ^^(A)^^

I'm a C-6 quad and use the exact same bags. I also used to have a hole poked in the clamp and had a string tied into a loop, but i didn't need the long extension tube. I'd just lift my leg on to the toilet and use the loop to open the clamp. The clamp broke once though and i couldn't find my other one with a string in it so i had to use my thumb to flick it open without any string. I got used to doing it that way and eventually stopped putting string in the clamps.

I will say though that over the years i've tried other leg bags and the Bard ones are by far the easiest to use for me.

Darty what type of extra tubing u connect to bottom of leg bag and how does it stays connected.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    Darty what type of extra tubing u connect to bottom of leg bag and how does it stays connected.
    I probably shouldn't speak for Darty, but i tried what he's doing when i first got home from rehab. I had someone stretch out the opening for the extension tubing that connected the leg bag/catheter and i taped that tubing to the short tubing piece on the bag that the urine comes out of. This experiment worked briefly, but i hated having that long tube hanging out from my pants leg. So i worked on being able to lift my foot on to the toilet bowl and flick open the clamp.

By asking this question, am i correct in guessing that you struggle with emptying you leg bag on your own?

Here is the type of clamp they sent me home with back in the day. The tubing had to be folded in half and the clamp had to be screwed on and off which gave me no independence.

^^(A)^^

As I stated in my earlier post I wear my leg bag right above my knee and to the outside of my leg. That is what they taught me at RIC (The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago) 30 years ago and I have stuck with it. I know most people wear their bag on the lower leg (below the knee) and to the inside but I never have.

The bag I use is the Bard Disposable Large (32 oz about $4.00 each) they have no clamp or flip flow valve for drainage just a built in ant reflux valve at the top and two rubber straps. To build a bag you pop the caps off both top and bottom, cut a short 2 to 3 inch piece yellow surgical tubing ($12.00 for 15 feet) and wiggle it on the top of the bag (they fit tight you will need help but it will not come off), then I use a ribbed tubing connector ($4.00 for a box of the) to attach the top hose to my sp or a condom cath.

Attach another long hose about 8 or 12 inches to the bottom of the bag, long enough to reach between my foot plates and just out of my pant leg so I can get to it with no problem. It will take time to get the tubing lengths and clamp positioned correct for you but it is simple and reliable. I just rinse the bag each night with a little water and bleach mixture and they last a month or so.

I have found lately that some of the bard bags come with a short hose attached to the bottom with a clamp on the hose so I just cut that hose off, keep the clamp and make my own with the modified clamp.

I never could figure out how to lift my big heavy foot on to a toilet without any hand grip or dumping my foot in the toilet and getting it back on my foot plate safely. Just seamed like a lot of unnecessary work and struggle when I can just knuckle the hose up there.

Hope this helps if I can help any more just ask.

^^(A)^^