Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power-assist wheels on an old Quickie GPV

Question Power-assist wheels on an old Quickie GPV

Is this possible? Can these power-assist dealios go on any wheelchair? I want them for my manual when I go to Europe, vs bringing my power chair. Which brand is best? Average cost? And will insurance cover them?

I'm also looking into getting a travel shower/commode chair that'll work in no roll-in shower bathrooms. Suggestions?
    May the fetus you save be gay

Both e-motion wheels and Quickie Xtenders will go on a GPV. Even though Quickie makes the Xtender wheels, the e-motions would probably be an easier install and since they are manufactured in Germany you could probably get US and European type plugs for the charger pretty easily. Xtenders also limit your rear STF height to ~18". Both retail for around $6,200. Hard to tell if insurance would cover. If they paid for your powerchair and it is relatively new, probably not. You may be able to find a set on ebay.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by WCColorado
    starting prices are at or around $900. it stuns me the amount medical companies will charge for a few pieces of metal and a plastic seat! highway robbery!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Both e-motion wheels and Quickie Xtenders will go on a GPV. Even though Quickie makes the Xtender wheels, the e-motions would probably be an easier install and since they are manufactured in Germany you could probably get US and European type plugs for the charger pretty easily. Xtenders also limit your rear STF height to ~18". Both retail for around $6,200. Hard to tell if insurance would cover. If they paid for your powerchair and it is relatively new, probably not. You may be able to find a set on ebay.
    e-motion = $6200, hmm? geesh. so much! *cries*

how much heavier do they make the chair? can they stay in the wheels when you break down the chair to put it in a car?

They add 45lbsish, they can be removed just like regular wheels. Also add 2" i believe in width.

I have the xtenders on my GPX and insurance paid for everything. I would say the wieght added is at lest 20 pounds. I can leave my wheels on or take them off if I eed to break down the chair.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

cool. i actually dont mind the extra weight as im afraid my chair will tip/flip over. this has happened before. the heavier the chair, the more of a tank-feeling it lends...which as a c6 quad is a nice feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    They add 45lbsish, they can be removed just like regular wheels. Also add 2" i believe in width.
    but can i leave them in the wheels all the time then, even to charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Theophania
    but can i leave them in the wheels all the time then, even to charge?
    On e-motion wheels, yes. You can also take the battery out of the hub of an e-motion without much difficulty. On the Xtender, I believe you have to pull the single battery out of the holder on the back of the frame. It is not very difficult as the battery is relatively light. You probably would want to get a second set of batteries for either brand of wheel.

The Xtenders add 34 lbs. the e-motions add 53 lbs.

While the chair may be heavier, the extra oomph that the power assist wheels provide may require you to move your rear axle back to prevent turning your GPV into a wheelstander. I can imagine you doing this in Europe and being labeled an "Arrogant American" with an Autorama/Tractor pull mentality.