Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where is that delicate line with parents?

Isak Perlmann had polio as a child. He has been paralyzed for his entire career. Teddy Pedergrass was already a popular singer, but coming back as a quad as a popular singer was not easy. I also have a client who played in a rock band locally that was very popular for a number of years locally who had a C7 injury. He was a singer and played the harmonica.

There are many others. I am sorry Todd is so negative....(not realistic, defeatist).

Why do you have to stay in Chicago? From what you say about your mother, some distance would be to your advantage. Are you going to school or have a job that keeps you there? If not, move far away. Even in the suburbs you will find much more accessible housing (and probably cheaper) than you will right in the city.

(KLD)

Isak Perlmann had polio as a child. He has been paralyzed for his entire career. Teddy Pedergrass was already a popular singer, but coming back as a quad as a popular singer was not easy. I also have a client who played in a rock band locally that was very popular for a number of years locally who had a C7 injury. He was a singer and played the harmonica.

There are many others. I am sorry Todd is so negative....(not realistic, defeatist).

Why do you have to stay in Chicago? From what you say about your mother, some distance would be to your advantage. Are you going to school or have a job that keeps you there? If not, move far away. Even in the suburbs you will find much more accessible housing (and probably cheaper) than you will right in the city.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Todd,
    Just off the top of my head:

Teddy Pendergrass (R&B)

Isack Perlmann (cello)

Anyway, if you can get into some family counseling with your mother, that might help. She may not know how hurtful what she says is to you, and you may not be able to explain it without some help. I hope you are in progress on making plans to move out.
    Itzhak Perlman is a violin virtuoso, not a cellist. Perhaps you're thinking of Yo-Yo Ma, who is not disabled but can sure play a mean cello!

Itzhak Perlman

I remember watching Itzhak Perlman being interviewed on 60 Minutes (I think it was) recounting how he "felt like a sack of potatoes" being loaded onto a commercial airliner. I think that's what prompted him to get into the rights of the disabled.

Hi Becky,

Post-SCI I've never lived with my parents so perhaps shouldn't comment. But I would just tell your mom what she wants to hear and do what you want to do. Then go from there. Or probably the better and more honest approach would be to do as the SCI-Nurse suggests and get into some family counseling.

I think if you have a marketable classical voice that it shouldn't be very difficult for it to be recognized. The field isn't all that large for those truly gifted. It takes a lot of voice training and practice I suppose but you also need the gift.

Have you performed at any local or regional theaters or at your school and received any "rave" reviews above and beyond that of your contemporaries? That's the only way you're gonna know if you have what it takes. It's such a small niche that the cream of the crop should be easily recognized.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Becky, ignore Mom and live your life. Your Mom's behavior may or may not be related to your disability. Parental units of AB children apparently say those things, too, from what I've seen of some friends and their parents growing up.

You only get this one life (barring reincarnation) and it's not a dress rehearsal.

I'm w/KLD on this one. Move away. Move far away if there is anyway for you to do it.

Go for it. If performing doesn't pan out as you hope, you can always go for a second career. More and more people have more than one career in a lifetime.

Find what blisses the hell out of you (performance?) and do it.

All the best.

http://newmobility.com/articleViewIE.cfm?id=10863

An excellent jazz singer who happens to be a woman and who happens to be tetraplegic.

Never have a closed mind!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

(KLD)
    KLD,
    I don't have to stay in Chicago but with wanting a career in entertainment, you have only a few cities to choose from, Chicago, NYC, or LA. Like I said, I am looking in the suburbs for the cheaper rates but unfortunatey, some of the suburbs are just as bad, if not worse. I am still going to school but am taking this next year off. I just graduated with my degree in Health Information, my fall back degree, lol. I start at the University next fall for my vocal performance degree. I am definately going to be out then but thats 12 months away (sigh).

Becky

WHat about Nashville? Good cost of living, nice weather and lots of music. I know it's "Country", but there's a lot more there.
    BeeBee

Becky,

If you want to pursue Classical music, try Chicago or NYC over LA. I don't think L.A. is big on Classical. NYC is probably the best in America.

Also, do you speak other languages besides English? Learning Romance tongues will greatly benefit you in singing Classical music. I'd love to help you if you ever need help learning them. I have resources I can share with you. Italian is probably your best bet for Classical styles.

(KLD)
    Like I said, when she mentioned singing, I immediately thought of American Idol and MTV. In all the years American Idol has been on the air, it has never once featured a physically disabled person, even in the top 30.

My point was not that Becky should not pursue singing at all, but only that most in the entertainment field ostracize people who aren't "perfect". It's all about image (usually surrounded by sex appeal) and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Like I said, when she mentioned singing, I immediately thought of American Idol and MTV. In all the years American Idol has been on the air, it has never once featured a physically disabled person, even in the top 30.
    Have you seen "So You Think You Can Dance?" They have featured dancers with disabilities. Google "Bryan Gaynor".

My point was not that Becky should not pursue singing at all, but only that most in the entertainment field ostracize people who aren't "perfect". It's all about image (usually surrounded by sex appeal) and money.
    That is very true, but I wonder if you would tell an AB friend to find another day job if they weren't really good looking. You seemed to be emphasizing the idea that there is discrimination against people with disabiliites and sounded very discouraging towards the idea of any gimp wanting to perform professionally. I wouldn't be that negative about the idea without hearing someone sing first.

C.