Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where is that delicate line with parents?

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons
    Le Todd,
    I do have to agree with if I was into more "popular" music it would be more difficult, however, I would never say that it would be impossible. Saying something is impossible puts barriers up and I would not want to do that for anyone regardless of their ability. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Becky
    Chicago Illinois
    I'm a huge fan of Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli. If you ever get to do a recording, make sure you tell us all.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Becky,

I was told many times career choices would be difficult. Let's be honest, what famous singer is in a wheelchair and also sings, does music videos and concerts? Choices are clearly limited for us. If you enjoy singing, try doing it recreationally.

Pendergrass?

Do what ever you want Becky! Look into getting out on your own. Sometimes families are clueless as to what to say to someone who's been injured.

Send her an invite to your first concert!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

http://www.myspace/ProfessirX

Check him out. He is an up and coming rapper-quad rapper may I add, that many feel will make it big soon. He raps on disability/SCI issues among others. Nothing is stopping him. Let nothing stop you. And yeah, my dad's negative too. Just gotta prove them otherwise. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    Let's be honest, what famous singer is in a wheelchair and also sings, does music videos and concerts? Choices are clearly limited for us. If you enjoy singing, try doing it recreationally.
    Todd, I bet you would say the same thing to someone here if they said they wanted to be on a NASCAR pit crew....BUT you'd be oh so wrong....you'd need to do a little research...but check out a lil info on Bootie Barker...

If there's not a "famous" singer who already does those things then there's no reason why she can't be a trailblazer....Someone's gotta be the first to do them!

Todd, you're doing exactly what Becky's mom is doing to her....It's very demoralizing and hurtful to her, especially coming from her own mom.

Becky, your mom should be encouraging you not telling you all the things you can't or never will do...I'd sooo be irritated, pissed, frustrated, etc with her....Show her what you CAN do and go from there....maybe she's one of those people who won't believe that you can until she sees it....I dunno...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Well, we have our own great ProfessirX.

There are many aspiring disabled musicians.
    http://www.future-link.com/

Todd,
    Just off the top of my head:

Teddy Pendergrass (R&B)

Isack Perlmann (cello)

Anyway, if you can get into some family counseling with your mother, that might help. She may not know how hurtful what she says is to you, and you may not be able to explain it without some help. I hope you are in progress on making plans to move out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Todd,
    Just off the top of my head:

Teddy Pendergrass (R&B)

Isack Perlmann (cello)
    Were these men famous prior to injury? Even if not, those two men do not appeal to the MTV crowd. I didn't say a person with an SCI couldn't be a singer, but we must still be realistic about expectations. I don't see MTV and American Idol opening their doors to disabled people any time soon. Image is everything in popular music and culture, and more so if you're a woman.

As moving out goes, I am looking but it is very hard to find a place that is wheelchair accessible in Chicago. There are some resources but to take advantage of them I would have to live in city limits and I live just outside so I can't. The whole idea of therapy with my mom is just laughable. Not that she wouldn't do it but it would turn into me making her look like a terrible mother and would then make me feel even worse about myself so I think for my own sanity I don't think that right now it would be a wise decision. Thank you for the advice though. I will look into it once I do move out because then it will be a whole differnt ball game. I think that her big thing is acceptance she hasn't accepted the fact that I could possibly be happy and make a life for myself regardless of the fact that I don't get around like the majority of the populaton. I'm not saying it didn't take time for me to accept either because obviously it did. I still have a lot of bad days but there is a difference between having a bad emotional day and just flat out not believing that something has happened to change your life.

Becky
    Chicago Illinois

Ignore your mom, the sooner you're out on your own the better. If you're a mentally competent adult make sure your parents have as little control in your life as possible. If they are control freaks or naysayers it can only lead to grief.

Todd I don't think you should be making judgements as to what people can & can not do until you get out & experience the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    Todd I don't think you should be making judgements as to what people can & can not do until you get out & experience the real world.
    I am commenting on the real world. I didn't make the rules, I'm only stating them. I stand by what I said also. Simon Cowell would be just as honest.