Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATV adaptive seat for hunting?

ATV adaptive seat for hunting?

Has anybody seen, or done, an adaptive type seat for an atv?

I am going on a pheasant hunt in S.D in Oct with 3 of my brothers and a b-i-l. This is the 15th Annual, and my first time back since sci. yeehah!

My plan is to spend most of the day on an atv as we go from field to field, and it is legal for me to shoot from an atv. I will be a "blocker" at the end of fields as others push the birds thru.

I want to put a Roho on it, as well as have a backrest. I found when skeet shooting, I need to tie myself off to a backrest, or the gun weight pulls me down frontward.

Before I just start hitting local custom seat shops to mod one, I thought I would ask if anybody has seen one out there. It will be going on a Honda, but don't know the model offhand.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

do you have the ATV already or are you in the market for one as well?

Dad thinks you can if you are disabled, but he will call Monday to make sure.

This might have the info you are looking for. http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Disab...ilityIndex.htm

I do wanna tell you, you are a nutball from coming on opening day. Watch out for Cheney. He comes this way too. At least you are driving. Our little airport is a madhouse that weekend! I feel bad for all the hunting dogs that come down with the luggage. Poor things.

Hope to get to see you when you are in my area. I won't take you to our strip club. It's just beyond bad.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

Scott - got the atv already. My brother has 4 of them on his land in Oklahoma, we will be using one of those. Why, you trin' to sell one.

Kristi - reading that link, seems like what I plan is legal. We will be on private land also, might be a little different. did not know there is a disabled hunter permit, that is good to know, thanks.

I have flown into Sioux Falls many times on Opening weekend, what a zoo. All kinds of vendors in the halls hawking wear, dogs/guns coming out of luggage area. It kind of revs you up.

Hope to see you too. Don't worry about a strip club, we will be hitting the lone club in Mitchell, the Kongo Club. They bring in "out of state" ringers for Opening weekend dancing. We found out long ago, there is a "circuit" that girls follow for the various States Opening Days. They make big bucks. I ought to get lots of lap dances in a chair, hope they remember me.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

nope, don't own one... I was just thinking a side-by-side rig like a Yamaha Rhino would be better, as those use full seats and can be upgraded w/ more supportive aftermarket automotive seats pretty easily.

that being said, I don't have the balance of a low para, so I think a little differently.

Do they make four wheeler convertions for quads? Not the side by side. Like for a Blaster?
    There's
    No
    Place

not that I'm aware of. You've got balance issues to deal with on the Blasters, not to mention how someone w/ limited hand fxn would work the gas/brake.

if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. I don't see it working well or being safe for a quad.

I've seen a back rest like a J2 high back on one. I think that would help balance, but like you said with the hand functions.... I have no idea. I didn't get to be a quad by practicing proper safety.
    There's
    No
    Place

Quote Originally Posted by Chess
    I've seen a back rest like a J2 high back on one. I think that would help balance, but like you said with the hand functions.... I have no idea.
    yeah, hand function is a biggie. I was imagining a backrest with side bolsters would be fairly simple to fabricate, but that would make a transfer tricky. Then there's the issue of securing feet. Does the Blaster have an automatic transmission? I don't know much about them, nor made the time to look @ specs.
    I didn't get to be a quad by practicing proper safety.
    welcome to the club. hasn't changed much either, huh?

McDuff, sorry for the hijack here. I figure it shouldn't be too tough to rip the seat cover off & find a way to get a roho to fit - they're plenty flexible. I don't know how everything on the Hondas is assembled though.

McDuff,
    There are several types of backrest for atvs on the market. Here's a few links with different ideas; hopefully it will help you figure out what would be best for you. One thing I would be aware of is being able to adjust the backrest to allow you a better position closer to the handlebars.

Usually the Honda seats are easily removed w/ a lever. Maybe you could take the seat off and then strap your cushion to the seat and put the seat back into place.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cm...atId=10602&np=

http://www.amazon.com/ATV-Mogo-Backr.../dp/B000KBMLPG

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200316110.htm

Hope it gives you some ideas to think about...and allows you to have some fun!

Scott, the Blaster doesn't have an automatic transmission, it has a manual trans and clutch.