Thread: Blood for cathing...

Blood for cathing...

I have a question... I'm not too concerned, but I just had a sufficient amount of blood in my urine. I'm pretty sure it's due to bladder spasm while cathing, as it spasmed pretty bad when it happened, but how much blood have you guys had in your cases from this? Also, is it dangerous to cause bleeding? How long can it take to heal and does it always heal or coagulate? I took my catheter out shortly, because just more blood and urine kept coming, and I couldn't stand seeing the blood. Next time this happens, should I just let it finish draining, is that safe?

I've only had "sufficient" blood twice, the last time, I bled like a stuck pig for many minutes. Scared the crap out of me. I now have a slightly more difficult time getting a cath in, probably have some scar tissue now.

I don't think you want to be drawing any blood on a regular type basis, as eventually the scarring could get too bad.

You might look into a different type of cath, like hydrophillic or something that slides easier.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Not sure how much blood is "sufficient", but the amount of bleeding makes a difference. If your urine is pinkish with a few small clots, you can just watch it. If it is dark red, with large clots, then we describe it like wine. Merlot or Cabernet are much more concerning than white Zinfindel.

Lots of blood in the urine is much less likely to be due to traumatic catheterization, and more likely to be related to a hemorrhagic UTI.

Regardless, you should fully empty your bladder. When you next cath, if it is not better, and is dark red, you are due for a visit to the ER. Otherwise, if the bleeding is decreasing, you can wait to call your urologist on Monday. We usually like to do cystoscopy after a case of frank bleeding, just to rule out other more serious causes.

(KLD)