Page 71 of 145 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Dr. Davies and I spoke at length last Saturday at W2W's Day at the Races hosted by the Sam Schmidt Foundation. As a Moderator, I personally thanked him for posting on Care Cure. I emphasized how much his connecting with us was appreciated. He assurred me that the occasional "noise" that occurs with threads on CC will not deter him from future postings. However, he is reluctant to expand on his current studies until it is peer reviewed and published.

I would like to emphasize how available Dr. Davies and his wife, Jeanette, made themselves to our group. They participated at each day's sessions regardless if they presented or not. They joined us at all the receptions and breaks, the Day at the Races, and after hours for dinners and drinks. Their young son, Max, also entertained everyone with his antics.

Our community is fortunate to have such passionate researchers on our side.

John
    Last edited by john smith; 09-03-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: The spelling police made me do it.
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

I was also at Working 2 Walk and attended one of the Break Out sessions with Dr. Davies. He seemed very optimistic and I felt like he was (as Susan suggested) biting his tongue to keep from saying something!

Thanks John & NWMom

I really appreciate any information in regards to Dr. Davies work.

Roger

I was also at W2W. We met Dr. Davies, Jeneatte and Max the first night we were there. Great people and very committed to finding treatments for chronic SCI. My husband thanked him for his work and he said "You don't need to thank me until your wife is out of her chair". I too want to echo how neat it was to meet all the researchers and to see that while they are all on the same page as far as wanting to finding treatments, they are coming at it in many different ways. That can only be positive for us.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by momo3 View Post
    I was also at W2W. We met Dr. Davies, Jeneatte and Max the first night we were there. Great people and very committed to finding treatments for chronic SCI. My husband thanked him for his work and he said "You don't need to thank me until your wife is out of her chair". I too want to echo how neat it was to meet all the researchers and to see that while they are all on the same page as far as wanting to finding treatments, they are coming at it in many different ways. That can only be positive for us.

Kathy
    this great news that all this is coming together and the researchers are all singing of the same hymn sheet I know this was ask be four BUT when do you think WE will see some of his work as you know it is easy to write comforting words p s can he not let us get a little more information on his research and when will he go public as i said i might have missed it earlier on the sight

Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Hello everyone:

As most of you know, Dr. Stephen Davies attended Working 2 Walk last week in Chicago. He had originally planned on publically sharing his unpublished chronic injury model data at W2W, but a few weeks ago decided doing so would jeopardize the progress of the work. Obviously, not something any of us wants. He agreed to attend W2W anyway and talk about what he could. I am certain he was biting his tongue until it was bleeding to not publically reveal his labs' chronic results.

My husband, Colin, and I did speak privately with Stephen and his wife and research partner, Jeannette, at great length. I cannot go into detail, but, I am extremely excited and optimistic by the progress. They have been working on repairing chronic injuries for several months and hope to publish very soon.

The Davies are incredible people dedicated to the development of curative therapies for spinal cord injury -- in particular, chronic injuries.
    Dear Suzan
    In one of your posts you wrote that Dr. Dvies was working on the logestic of clinical trials. Do you think this delay in presentation and publishing, will lead also to delay in clinical trials?
    thanks
    Alipur

Quote Originally Posted by alipur View Post
    Do you think this delay in presentation and publishing, will lead also to delay in clinical trials?
    Hi Alipur,

Thanks for your interest in Dr. Davies' research. As you know I have spent some time speaking with him also. As people have blogged from the W2W talks, he is absolutely committed to finding a cure for chronics.

The problem is that when you are working on something that has never been done before, it becomes very difficult to establish an accurate timeline. If you are making a new model of an automobile and your company has been making new models of automobiles for the last 50 years, it is very easy to make timeline of how long each task will take.

Dr. Davies and his team are working in a whole 'nother world. I've done projects like this before and we used to joke that the reason the number pi was invented was to describe the factor from how long you thought a project might take and the actual time that it would take.

There are two things that I know about his work:

a) He is working on the problem as fast as he can and still maintain the integrity of his research. He is extremely methodical and careful. The last thing he wants to do is create false hope with some non-reproducible experiment like the "cold fusion" excitement of a few decades ago.

b) The thing that we all can do that will help him (or any other legitimate researcher) is to raise funds. Currently Dr. Davies spends a significant portion of his time writing grants to raise funds to run his lab and perform the experiments.

If I had a magic wand and could give Dr. Davies $5 million, he would be able to work about twice as quickly as he can now. He wouldn't have to spend huge chunks of time writing grant proposals (that may or may not actually receive funding) and he would be able to hire additional technicians and expand his lab to run more experiments more quickly.

As I've said before, it's up to us.

I only apollagise to all the members that read my post that thought it was offensive but i dont apollagise to the negitive ones that think we will never walk again on. Most know were i was comming from. We just dont have time to waste u feel me? When i talked to davies he told me money could speed up his work. 30 million and he can proub be ready in a year or so depending on how fast it goes. He told me he need at least 7 million. So when it all boiles down too it ,if we want speedy results we have to help him get there instead of sitting back with our feet kicked up. Imagine trying to bake a cake with 25 cent from scatch?But imagine try to bake one from scratch with a 5000 $.
    Last edited by MONEYMAKER7444; 09-05-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Do not ever apologise, there is plenty of money, but none wants to collaborate. EU is drowning in money, and any serious sci lab can send in grant applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Do not ever apologise, there is plenty of money, but none wants to collaborate. EU is drowning in money, and any serious sci lab can send in grant applications.
    I don't know about the EU, but the Bush administration gutted the NIH grant money. It was all spent on things like anthrax vaccines and other thinly disguised "defense" purposes. By the end, only one RO-1 grant (the normal $1 million size) in ten was approved. There are larger grants up to $30 million, but only one or two of these get approved per year.

So it was terrible. The scientists would spend two to three months writing a grant with only a 10% chance of being funded. And what would they do if the grant money didn't come?

Things are starting to get back to "normal" slowly, but it's still bad especially for SCI research. Literally more people die from cancer every week than receive an SCI in a year. So it just isn't a high priority.

And since for over 100 years regeneration of the central nervous system was thought to be impossible in anything but a newborn, the field has only a handful of serious researchers in the world. So it is a very small playing field. And all of the serious researchers sit on the review boards of the institutions that hand out grants. So they are all looking at each other, deciding who will get the scraps of money that are available.

Nobody wants to be left out. Especially the researchers that have been chasing dead-ends for decades. The funding situation via the grant process is extremely political. But making direct contributions to a lab short-circuits all of the politics. It removes all the time wasted writing lengthy, detailed proposals that most likely won't get funded.

It's up to us.