Page 41 of 145 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies
    Hi Everyone,
    Sorry I have been out of touch lately. I have been hard at work in the lab (where I do my best work).

So, I am excited to say that my research team has an important SCI regeneration paper that will be published tomorrow in the Journal of Biology http://jbiol.com/. At present there is a strict press embargo until tomorrow so I cannot give a lot of details or answer questions until the paper is published. However what I can say today is that this is a vitally important paper in terms of how to use stem cell technologies for effectively repairing the injured spinal cord - without inducing severe side effects.

My collaborators and I really like the Journal of Biology because its standards are v. high (it's a new competitor to Nature and Science and only publishes a small number of select papers), it has smart editors who work to ensure a fair review process and it is freely available to anybody who has access to the internet (i.e. no subscription to the journal is necessary). In this way members of the SCI community get to read about the research the same day the scientists do. The journal has also commissioned a mini-review (to be published later) from a top name in neuroscience to expand upon the wider implications of our findings for using stem cell technologies for repairing the injured adult nervous system.

Stephen.
    Dr. Davies,

Heartfelt congratulations on your new published paper on GDAsBMP in the competitive Journal of Biology!

Your team's great hard work has always been highly appreciated and treasured!!! Our true hope lies in the hands of the passionate, rational and aggressive scientists like you.
    Suzanne

Smile Meeting Dr. Davies in Beijing

Hi Everyone,
    Here is the link to the full version of the paper. http://jbiol.com/content/pdf/jbiol85.pdf

This study have several important findings that are applicable to cell based therapies for both acute and chronic SCI.................

Chronic SCI
    Quite rightly most people on this forum want to know about GDAs and treating chronic SCI. Yes the new paper has only looked in acute SCIs, however we now know which types of astrocytes to make and ones to avoid when turning our attention to Chronic SCI.

Other groups have shown that even mixed populations of immature astrocytes are very good at making neurons make new connections in tissue culture. Based on this data we feel it is highly likely that GDAsBMP are very good at doing the same and this may in part account for why we see such robust recovery in animals that are treated with these cells. Plasticity (the ability of surviving nerve fibers to make new connections) is thought to play a major role in recovery from SCI. We are hoping therefore that GDAsBMP will be able to promote plasticity and the formation of new connections (called synapses) when transplnated into chronically injured spinal cords.
    In the next few weeks I will study hard on Dr. Davies work before meeting him in Beijing at the Third ISCITT Oct 31 - Nov 2 with much honor and privilege!!!
    Suzanne

My lab is committed to developing new therapies for chronic SCI. We have developed new tests for showing recovery in chronic SCI rats (because their weren't any reliable ones). We have developed a new infusion system suitable for treating chronic SCIs with decorin (because there wasn't one available). The lab has switched its main emphasis to chronic SCI. By their very nature chronic SCI experiments take a lot longer to conduct. Experiments are underway in the lab and we will publish the data as soon as the experiments are completed and properly documented.
    Dr. Davies,

I am so happy to see the progress and new development of your research work on Decorin in treating chronic SCIs. Today, my spirit is very much energized and uplifted by the good news here.

Words simply cannot express my deep gratitude for you!
    Suzanne

Hi Everyone,

Chronic SCI
    Plasticity (the ability of surviving nerve fibers to make new connections) is thought to play a major role in recovery from SCI. We are hoping therefore that GDAsBMP will be able to promote plasticity and the formation of new connections (called synapses) when transplnated into chronically injured spinal cords.

We have developed a new infusion system suitable for treating chronic SCIs with decorin (because there wasn't one available).
    Dr. Davies,

1. You mentioned above plasticity = new connections. How do we know whether new connections are formed correctly to the right targets or incorrectly to the wrong targets?

2. Could you define more specifically what kind of 'infusion system' has your lab developed?

I am not sure if I have asked the questions correctly but sincerely look forward for your reply!!
    Last edited by poonsuzanne; 09-20-2008 at 07:19 AM.
    Suzanne

DO NOT LET ANYONE INJECT NAIVE "STEM CELLS" OF ANY KIND INTO YOUR SPINAL CORD, EITHER IN ACUTE OR CHRONICALLY INJURED CORD !!

Do not let anyone inject astrocytes into your cord that have been made made by giving CNTF to stem or precursor cell cultures (some research groups are proposing this).

My co-authors and I strongly suggest that all potential cell based therapies for SCI must be rigorously tested for severe side effects such as allodynia before going to clinical trails in humans.
    Many thanks for that precious update, Dr. Davies..
    I think it's very important to warn the SCI community against being involved in stem cells therapy that could generate bad astrocytes. I'm thinking about Dr. Huang and a lot of other therapies.
    What do you think?..
    G78

DO NOT LET ANYONE INJECT NAIVE "STEM CELLS" OF ANY KIND INTO YOUR SPINAL CORD, EITHER IN ACUTE OR CHRONICALLY INJURED CORD !!

Do not let anyone inject astrocytes into your cord that have been made made by giving CNTF to stem or precursor cell cultures (some research groups are proposing this).

My co-authors and I strongly suggest that all potential cell based therapies for SCI must be rigorously tested for severe side effects such as allodynia before going to clinical trails in humans.
    Sorry to bug people about this, but what exactly are naive stem cells? Are they all stem cell based therapies? Would it include say bone marrow cells or the cells that Dr.Young plans to use in his China trials? Thanks.

Suzanne, have you met Dr Davies before? If not, you 2 are in for a mutual treat! I love it when nice people meet each other, esp if they bond over important work as the 2 of you surely will.

Quote Originally Posted by zokarkan
    what exactly are naive stem cells?
    I guess we should we read "native" instead..
    G78

Quote Originally Posted by zokarkan
    Sorry to bug people about this, but what exactly are naive stem cells?
    Naive stem cells are ones that haven't been differentiated to their desired state before transplantation.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Don't you think we should update the Clinical Trials sticky with a big warning refering to Dr. Davies recommandations?..

I think that the discovery of the team of Dr. Davies is a major milestone, it could give an explanation of 20 years of unsuccesfull neural stem cells transplantations in the CNS..
    G78
    Last edited by George78; 09-20-2008 at 04:07 PM.