Page 26 of 145 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies
    Hi Leif,
    Neuropathic pain alone can be so severe that it can even confine otherwise healthy peope (i.e. those will full use of their limbs) to wheel chairs. Then I suppose we could have a theoretical discussion about what degrees of increased neuropathic pain someone with an SCI might be willing to tolerate versus their recovery of function. I personally think that increasing neuropathic pain should be avoided at all costs and that we can develop effective SCI treatments that avoid this problem.
    Hello Stephen,
    You say that naturopathic pain alone can be severe, and I believe that is more than correct for many. But my point was that many with sci already have that pain. And many with such pain we don’t here about, not in the sci communities, nor on this website, not so often. I understand and agree in general though, but say for the general term of not wanting to harm, couldn’t that mark be lowered in spinal cord trials. Like it is supposed to be carried out like in other trials (where life span is discussed after injury or a disease), not that spinal cord injured folks are dying as such on the row, but that might be the problem for understanding the problem for trial conductors. Isn’t there a way to address trials for spinal cord injured people to look into the trial system itself aside of the research to speed it up? Of course trials should not add pain, and that is the number one factor in all prerequisites for even planning trials, still? What you think? Looking for ideas tailor-made trials solely made for sci. Leif.

To add; basic research will be the motor, for a time when it comes to sci research might gain real momentum like you helps by the research done, but to discuss ahead might be a good thing.
    Last edited by Leif; 01-16-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Ok, so I have had a donation check laying on my desk just waiting for the "right time" and I feel that time is here. Reading that there are people working through their holidays convinces me that this could possibly be what we are all hoping for if they are that excited. My check is written out for $500. Anytime that someone sends a check to the lab for $500 I will send another $500, up to $5000. I have to have a deadline. I am making this up as I go, btw. Lets see if we can get enough people to donate by March 1, Jesse's birthday. I will consider this his LAST birthday gift from me. I know many people have committed themselves to a monthly contribution but I just dont seem to be able to get around to doing it that way. Mine just happens to come all at once. This is my way of having a fundraiser with everyone reading this post.

Jesse's Mom,

Great idea. I have sent nearly $7,000.00 in the past 4 months. Some was from donations by CC Forum members (directed through me), some of it was mine added in. We need a lot more.

Either way, we have to help fund this work. Pick a good researcher and donate, even if it's $25.00 a month. A lot of us doing a little can speed things up.

Fantastic read, thank you for all of your hard work Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse's Mom
    Ok, so I have had a donation check laying on my desk just waiting for the "right time" and I feel that time is here. Reading that there are people working through their holidays convinces me that this could possibly be what we are all hoping for if they are that excited. My check is written out for $500. Anytime that someone sends a check to the lab for $500 I will send another $500, up to $5000. I have to have a deadline. I am making this up as I go, btw. Lets see if we can get enough people to donate by March 1, Jesse's birthday. I will consider this his LAST birthday gift from me. I know many people have committed themselves to a monthly contribution but I just dont seem to be able to get around to doing it that way. Mine just happens to come all at once. This is my way of having a fundraiser with everyone reading this post.
    Jesse's Mom,

I take your challenge, I'll let you know as soon as my donation is done!

Hi Corinne,
    To my mind it stands to reason that the better organized a funding initiative is then the more effective it will be. I think it would be a great idea for you and others on this forum to work together to help raise funds to support moving to SCI clinical trials here in the US. I already spend too much time as it is these days fund raising rather than doing what I do best which is SCI science. Help me to spend more time in the lab working with my research team! New decorin and GDA data we have in the pipeline will be published a lot sooner than Jan 2009.
    Dear dr Davies,
    thanks for your hard and ambitious work. sorry for the late reaction from my side. Regarding a 'better organized funding initiative', I personally am not in a position to create (and run) a foundation, by lack of time, but am thinking, with some others, on a way to leverage the money flow to the existing foundation collecting funds for your lab. More info will come later (and a bit of money from my side too).
    thanks again.
    Corinne

Hi Everyone,
    In light of the problems that some people have been having making donations to support my SCI research program at University of Colorado Denver, here below is the contact information for two administrators at the CU Foundation who are now personally taking care of managing donations to the Neuro Repair fund. Note that as before all donations are used exclusively for funding my labs SCI research program.

Either Tom and/or Amy can be contacted by those wishing to make a new donation (by wire or credit card) and also by anyone who has already made a donation (many thanks once again) and who has further questions they would like answered.

Tom Schuyler
    Associate Vice President / Senior Principal Gifts Officer,
    University of Colorado Foundation,
    Health Sciences Center
    4200 E. 9th Ave., Room 2817A,
    Denver, CO 80262,
    USA.
    Tel: 303-315-0984 (office)
    Cell: 303-548-9710
    Fax: 303-315-0998
    Email: tom.schuyler@cufund.org

Amy Hoza
    Development Assistant
    University of Colorado Foundation
    Email: amy.hoza@cufund.org

Mon / Thurs / Fri
    Tel:303-315-0127
    Fax: 303-315-0998
    Tues / Wed
    Tel: 303-813-7928
    Fax: 303-813-7958
    I just talked to Amy. It's really very easy to setup a reoccurring payment. Schmecky's mentioned it before, but everyone should pick a researcher and donate what they can.

Jesse's Mom

I just talked to Tom Schuyler at the University of Colorado Foundation. I have made another donation to Dr. Davies this time for $500.

Roger

Great. I talked to Tom also and received an email from Amy. I have my $500 check and another $1000 check to match Rogers and paolocipollas and it will be going in the mail tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse's Mom
    Great. I talked to Tom also and received an email from Amy. I have my $500 check and another $1000 check to match Rogers and paolocipollas and it will be going in the mail tomorrow.
    Hi Jesse's Mom,
    very good, you can also add my name to your list! On monday/tuesday i will go to my bank for my donation by international bank transfer

Arcy