Page 23 of 145 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by mhinds
    I plan to give a small amount ($20-$30) monthly to Dr. Davies research and to request that friends and family make donations to him in lieu of Christmas gifts to me. Although I would love to support Dr. Young in a similar way, I am drawn to Dr. Davies' research because he is doing it in the USA (thus easier to access once it is approved) and because he has a plan to involve chronics soon after doing trials with acutes.
    I am going to do the same with my friends

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    Dr. Davies,

What do your instincts tell you about db cAMP? Thanks in advance.

Targeting Neurite Growth Inhibitors to Induce CNS Regeneration

"In vivo: To test the possibility that an increase in cAMP is sufficient to induce subsequent dorsal column regeneration, the cAMP analog dibutyrl-cAMP was injected directly into L5 dorsal root ganglia [45]. This resulted in extensive regeneration of dorsal column axons when they were lesioned at T7 one week later by a bilateral scissor cut. In addition, 1 day and 1 week after injection of dibutyrl-cAMP, the neurons were removed and grown on either MAG or myelin. At both times, the inhibition by MAG was completely reversed and growth on myelin was improved 6-fold. The improved growth was PKA dependent only at day 1, disappearing by 1 week presumably because of the early transient increase in cAMP."

Current Pharmaceutical Design, 2005, 11, 1247-1253

http://labs.pbrc.edu/bloodbrainbarri...DSCIKastin.pdf

CC archive
    I agree with all of Wise's comments about cAMP as an SCI therapy. There are even several labs I know of that have failed to reproduce the claimed cAMP effects on axon growth, both in tissue culture and after SCI in rats. If a potential therapy is not robust enough to show reproducible benefits for rat SCI in reputable labs, then in my opinion it has little chance of working in humans where there is far greater variability in SCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Corinne Jeanmaire
    Dr Davies,
    As Suzanne Poon said 'thanks for being a scientist on our side". With regard to the financial aspect, I still think we do not use our strength enough and go too much for small and individual moves and contributions. I was wondering what you, Dr Davies, think of the above suggestion to 'organize' financial flows to your lab to enable clinical trial within 3 years. Does this sound realistic and useful to you ? If so, I assume your upcoming publication would be the starting point of any action towards the public and/or towards any institution? (you plan to publish in January 2009, is that right).
    thanks.
    best regards. Corinne
    Hi Corinne,
    To my mind it stands to reason that the better organized a funding initiative is then the more effective it will be. I think it would be a great idea for you and others on this forum to work together to help raise funds to support moving to SCI clinical trials here in the US. I already spend too much time as it is these days fund raising rather than doing what I do best which is SCI science. Help me to spend more time in the lab working with my research team! New decorin and GDA data we have in the pipeline will be published a lot sooner than Jan 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies
    Hi Corinne,
    To my mind it stands to reason that the better organized a funding initiative is then the more effective it will be. I think it would be a great idea for you and others on this forum to work together to help raise funds to support moving to SCI clinical trials here in the US. I already spend too much time as it is these days fund raising rather than doing what I do best which is SCI science. Help me to spend more time in the lab working with my research team! New decorin and GDA data we have in the pipeline will be published a lot sooner than Jan 2009.
    Some how we need to get this done. Even if we could all commit a few dollars every month.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    Some how we need to get this done. Even if we could all commit a few dollars every month.
    I AGREE 100%

Norm, as I stated on another thread, we as a community are being given a miraculous choice: do we wait a couple of years for therapies, or do we wait several years?

We can determine the timeline through funding. We all must donate every month, even if it's a small amount, to the most promising of researchers.

Well how do we start our own thing or can we convince CRF or some other SCI group to help. Its not going to work if only 10 of us here do it.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Well how do we start our own thing or can we convince CRF or some other SCI group to help. Its not going to work if only 10 of us here do it.

I hear what you are saying, Norm. Imagine this... A small spinal cord injury group of about 10 with one motivated individual in charge could raise up to $15,ooo in a matter of 10 weeks all culminating in a one day event "the Spinal Cord Injury Walk".

Does this sound possible? Well it was. Check out the Northwest Indiana Spinal Cord injury Group. I mention it because $5,000 was donated to the lab of Dr. Stephen Davies, $5,000 wenht to U2FP, and the rest stayed with the group to pay for meetng and outings. Anything is possible and you might be surprised by the support of your community.

If anyone would like more information, contact me at nwiscig@gmail.com

Dr. Davies, I hope things are moving along and progress is being made. You should receive our donation through U2FP soon. We spoke last year after dinner the night before the symposium and I look forward to seeing you this year at Working 2 Walk 2008.

The CRF has helped Dr. Davies and both Cherry and Jen have set up funds to collect money for researchers including Davies. You could also donate directly to Dr. Davies.
    Last edited by antiquity; 12-09-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    The CRF has helped Dr. Davies and both Cherry and Jen have set up funds to collect money for researchers including Davies. You could also donate directly to Dr. Davies.
    Regarding direct donations, I just sent the below e-mail to Dr. Davies (and cc'd Ms. Schenk, the accounting representative whose contact info Dr. Davies shared regarding wire transfers). I started to write the below as a message for the thread, but thought it would be more user-friendly if I went ahead and e-mailed them my suggestions...

To Dr. Davies (and cc Ms. Schenk):

Dear Dr. Davies,

My name is Bill Miller; I'm a C1-2 vent-dependent quadriplegic. I just discovered your research via the lengthy CareCure thread about David's visit to your lab. The information regarding your research is profound, encouraging, and flat-out awesome. Like others with SCI, I'm immensely grateful for your research and efforts. Thank you! :-)

I have two suggestions which could/should help simplify and/or increase your funding.

First, besides the options of personal checks and wire transfers, how about an online way to donate? I would think some people would highly prefer the convenience of donating online vs. writing a check and mailing it with a note to Mr. Silber, or setting up a wire transfer and verifying it with Ms. Shenk.

I was going to suggest PayPal.com, which is probably the easiest way to donate online (and thus would encourage more people to do so) but they would deduct 1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD, per transaction. Then I saw with Ms. Shenk's contact info the CUfund.org website, where online donations can be made and are only subject to a 1.9% credit card transaction fee. (I don't know if your bank charges a fee to receive wire transfers, or if senders would incur fees, but if there's a fee on either end, that makes the online donation argument stronger.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the below link is for CUfund.org "other" donations, and can't we use that now to donate, if we describe our gift as: "A donation to the Neuro Repair Surgery Fund, 02-22171" and then on the next page, for comments, put: "To provide support for Dr. Stephen Davies' Spinal Cord Injury Research Program"? (It would have to be broken up; I tried putting it all together and that was too long.)

http://www.cufund.org/giveonline/other.php

The CUfund.org webmaster could add a specific link for such donations, so that users don't have to describe the donations (which would eliminate the possibility of a user accidentally making a transcription error; none of us are infallible).

All that said, there doesn't appear to be a way to register as a gift giver at CUfund.org, which means each donation requires filling out all the details every time. Now, Dr. Davies, you're going to great lengths to try to help us -- it's not too much to ask for us to fill out the form every time. But I'm thinking it still may be beneficial to setup PayPal for people that are willing to donate, but don't want the "hassle" of filling out a form, etc (i.e. if CareCure members are encouraging family and friends to donate, the ease of PayPal could be worth the slightly higher charge). Consider these three examples, if the convenience of PayPal convinced one more person to donate, or resulted in a repeat donation:

For donations of $20, the fee (for PayPal, over the 1.9% of credit cards via CUfund.org, at most 1% + $0.30) is $0.50. That means that one additional $20 donation would cover the fees for a quantity of 40 separate $20 PayPal donations (over the 1.9% of credit card donations).

Similarly, one additional $30 donation would cover the fees for a quantity of 50 separate $30 PayPal donations (relative to the above constraints).

Similarly, one additional $100 donation would cover the fees for a quantity of 76.92 separate $100 PayPal donations (relative to the above constraints).

I think it's a very reasonable assumption that the convenience of PayPal (which, once registered, only requires signing-in and inputting the recipient's e-mail address and payment total) could definitely influence additional donors and/or repeat donations, which would go a long way toward covering the extra fees for PayPal. The same convenience argument can be made for the 1.9% required credit card fees if donating online via CUfund.org (which also apply if using PayPal).

Personally, I think it would be beneficial to setup both CUfund.org and PayPal, or just PayPal (incidentally, the PayPal fee percentage comes down with higher monthly totals; from the below link, under receive payments for premier/business accounts, there's a link to the percentage breakdown).

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...y-fees-outside

If you choose to setup PayPal for donations, it might be helpful to create a specific e-mail address for the donations (that could perhaps automatically be forwarded where desired). I'm just thinking that might be helpful for keeping track of (and to identify the purpose of) the donations/payments received via PayPal.

My second suggestion... are you familiar with iGive.com? iGive has donation agreements with over 680 vendors (almost all major vendors and many specialty shops; even eBay) and the vendors from which purchases are made give a specified amount to the charity of choice for people who register at and shop through iGive. The donations on individual purchases generally aren't real sizable (except for when buying big ticket items) but obviously if many people (starting with CareCure members, and our friends and family) shop through iGive to support your research, the collective donations could become quite significant. I use iGive to give charitable donations on items that I would purchase anyway (without iGive).

I could setup your iGive listing for you, however there's only one spot for me to add "cause name" and I don't know if I could put: "The Neuro Repair Surgery Fund, 02-22171, to provide support for Dr. Stephen Davies' Spinal Cord Injury Research Program". But, if you, Ms. Schenk, or Mr. Silber register your cause, it appears you'll have some additional add/edit options (I mention Mr. Silber because iGive wants to know where to send the checks). It appears to be pretty easy to register and setup your cause, just visit the below link:

http://www.igive.com/welcome/

Even if iGive only results in modest totals, perhaps they would cover the online donation fees such that it would be like receiving personal checks (i.e. no fees).

I apologize for the length of my explanations. I just wanted to do as much of the legwork as possible, to save time in assessing and/or implementing the suggestions. If you're curious, I happen to be a business major at the University of Florida (though the above info didn't require anything I learned at UF, I do believe it's sound from a business perspective).

I'm going to post the contents of this e-mail on the CareCure thread regarding your work (link below) so if other people think of these same suggestions, hopefully they will have read it and won't "waste" their time (and yours) reiterating. And, if you choose to implement the suggestions or not, you can state that on the thread. I hope that makes sense. Here's the thread:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=87284

Sincerely,

Bill Miller :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.