Page 19 of 145 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Dr. Davies and David

Thank you for all that the two of you have done for the cc site and giving us all a better understanding and some HOPE!!!

Dr. Davies if someone has had another type of surgery Dr. Kao, Lima Ect. would this exclude them from your trial in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Pathway to Regeneration

Unlike most other SCI studies, no rats were removed from the study after they received GDA treatment. Other labs will commonly remove up to or more than 50% of rats that do not give the desired results.

I hope everyone can see how potentially close the research is.
    Schmeky, thank you for the time and effort put into this report (and you’re other posts). Incredible detail to say the least! If you get a chance would you (or Dr. Davies, Dr. Young) please comment (in this thread or another) on how removing subjects that do not meet your hypothesis is acceptable (new definition of null hypothesis?). I do not understand how removing fifty subjects from any study is not seen as manipulating/confounding the data (new definition of attrition?). Again, thanks for your time and effort. I agree , the potential is close.

Sincerely

Wildwilly
    Last edited by wildwilly; 10-31-2007 at 10:23 PM.
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Quote Originally Posted by zokarkan
    In one post Dr.Young stated that 'at the Keck Center, Marty Grumet has shown that a single bolus of chondroitinase (from Acorda Therapeutics) will clear almost all the CSPG for a cm around the injection for up to two weeks. One assumes that the whatever new CSPG that is deposited has to be newly made'. Again this is an assumption, but if it is the case, wouldn't it then be pointless to use decorin on its own as the glial 'scar' will renew itself?
    Dr.Davies,

I would love to get your scientific opinion in regards to the above question I copied? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    Roger,

I am glad to contribute any way I can to the community.

I wish someone on the West coast could do a visit and report on the Reeve-Irvine Research Center, as well as ony other dedicated SCI lab. We as a community to be informed, this is potentially our greatest asset.

Thank you Stephen for your time and especially your patience with me.

Nice report Schmeky, you done well, good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by zokarkan
    Dr.Davies,

I would love to get your scientific opinion in regards to the above question I copied? Thanks in advance.
    Hi Zokarian,
    Please read post #161 from me on this thread where I was asked to give my opinions of Chase v Decorin. This will answer your question and a lot more.

Big thanks to David (Schmeky)

Thank you David for making the effort to visit my lab and write accurate and balanced reports of my SCI research program at CU.

Stephen Davies.

Quote Originally Posted by emmy
    Dr. Davies and David

Thank you for all that the two of you have done for the cc site and giving us all a better understanding and some HOPE!!!

Dr. Davies if someone has had another type of surgery Dr. Kao, Lima Ect. would this exclude them from your trial in the future?
    Hi Emmy,
    This is a difficult question to answer. Scientifically there are very good reasons not to include someone who has had a previous treatment in a clinical trial as this introduces variables when it comes to scientifically proving that a new therapy has been effective. The previous treatment may work in conjunction with the new treatment and give a false positive for the new treatment or the previous treatment may actually counteract the beneficial effects of the new treatment. Whether someone would be excluded for having a prior treatment would very much depend on what the prior treatment was, how long ago it was given and if there are still ongoing changes in functional recovery or harmful side effects such as neuropathic pain. Members of the SCI community who have not had a prior treatment that involved surgery will be given preference for inclusion in the early phases of all future SCI trials. However if a treatment such as decorin or GDAs BMP proves to be particularly effective in the early phases of a trial, then I would personally like to see those that have had prior treatments included as soon as possible.

Thanks for Donations

Just a quick post to thank all of you who have already made donations to support our SCI research program at University of Colorado. So far 60 people have made donations over the past few months (most of these after the Schmeky report) and each of you will shortly be receiving personal thank you letters from me and Dr. Kevin Lillehei (Chief Neurosurgeon and Chairman). Please excuse the state of my signature if you happen to receive the 60th letter! Judging by the posts I have seen on this thread there are likely more donations in the pipeline. Rest assured that all donations are to be used strictly for funding SCI regeneration experiments in my lab with a particular emphasis of funding chronic SCI experiments.

All the best,

Stephen Davies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Davies
    Thank you David for making the effort to visit my lab and write accurate and balanced reports of my SCI research program at CU.

Stephen Davies.
    No, thank you.