Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135136137138139140141142143144145
Results 1,441 to 1,442 of 1442

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    I was not aware that September had been declared "National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month". So much for "awareness". It was a resolution - not legislation. Legislation is for laws, and this resolution "does not have the force of law", according to www. govtrack.us. It was originally sponsored by Marco Rubio (R-FL) and cosponsored by Bill Nelson (D-FL) in the Senate and designated September 2011 only. It was passed by "unanimous consent". The following year, Rubio sponsored the almost the same resolution by himself (no co-sponsors). This time he said that a person is paralyzed every 48 minutes, a 60-fold reduction from the previous year, where he claimed a person is paralyzed every 48 seconds. Even though it lacked the force of law, it apparently had a dramatic effect. Too bad they didn't do it a third year, as perhaps he would have reduced it to once every 48 hours. (sarcasm)

The only time that a politician seems to do something is when it affects them directly. I heard they finally added diabetic foot wounds to the conditions approved for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) after a period of ~40 years because a Texas legislator had a family member with the condition. I suppose one tactic would be to inflict an SCI on a prominent lawmaker... You didn't see Christopher Reeve working for SCI's until he suffered one himself.... It's just part of being human. It's hard to imagine how hard it is until it happens to you.

Hang in there!
    Charley

We share similar humor.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I don't think anyone is in need of adjusted thinking, but please provide us the finer points and "facts" that we can follow instead of inventing "weakness" that doesn't exist. Can you start here and add clarity to the situation?...

Neural stem cells have been tested in chronic animal models along with human trial data being disclosed from two of them already (along with patient progress video's on the internet). I stand by the information I provide at the SCI science blog so the community can have access to an educational tool. It won't be used as a platform to display false rhetoric or waste peoples time reading internet entertainment about science and publication conspiracy theories. I find it much more important to encourage scientists to enter the neuro-regeneration field and biotech companies to invest in therapies and rehabilitation measures. It provides the community with an understanding of what is happening in the research labs and clinical trials along with hopefully being supportive of SCI work. I've always felt strongly that people need to have the factual information from scientists and biotech companies that attend these forums and conferences to give us information. This is a serious business my friend.

Now in 2016, there's three major biotech's committed to chronic SCI trials with neural stem cells based on all kinds of animal data presented to the FDA, with one even announcing a future scaffold component. Since you do not think there was sufficient animal research evidence to warrant such chronic inclusion into the trial with neural stem cells, your beef would actually be against the FDA for being too lenient and allowing the human research to take place. I've never heard anyone complain about that or blame researchers for the FDA allowing chronic humans to be tested based on rat, pig and primate studies. I imagine the scientists would survive your good dose of complaining because it makes no sense and never was any researchers call to make for the FDA in the first place. The FDA was obviously satisfied and has allowed the initial cell trials to start moving forward. Funding has been given from the NIH, CIRM, Roman Reed Initiative, Veterans Administration and many others too numerous to mention that want to get potential treatments started.

Luckily much of these efforts have been funded with US tax dollars and investments in these companies that haven't talked about bankruptcy. Since Italy doesn't allow animal testing, you may not be aware of the experiments that have already taken place in other countries but the information is freely available on the internet. There's lots of people reading here at Carecure that would love to have the return of sensation described in a neural stem cell clinical trial safety phase so far. LINK. Not all safety phases have a response due to low dosages or their stage ability (stemness). We have SCI patients from all over the world begging the FDA to lighten regulations and allow more treatment testing on human chronic SCI along with committees trying to change rules for patient inclusion. It makes sense to chill out, watch and learn from the data that has already been disclosed to the public on the progress being made in these Ph.1/2 safety trials rather than thrashing researchers/scientists and prematurely proclaiming every piece of future SCI therapies failures. I applaud the efforts of the researchers that include chronic animals, the FDA and any biotech that allows the older injuries to participate so we have the necessary pieces already safety approved. It's then possible to build a good future combo treatment for chronic SCI. We learn a ton of valuable information from every trial that allows chronic to participate.
    Thanks for making me smile.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming