Page 141 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4191131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1442

Thread: Stephen Davies Update

As expected you insult. You seem to enjoy others misery. Just to update you I have acquired Nembutal since overdosing on opioids made me puke and crosseyed. I think that will be easy and not messy. Enjoy your role as the cripple behavior policewoman.

Should we chase this guy ?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    In my experience there are two problems here. Withe regards to "We run from researcher to researcher like teenage girls run from one boy-band to another boy-band", I have seen this and been totally mystified. When I look at the researchers, I look at their results. When viewed in this light, there are clearly some researchers who are far ahead of other researchers. I honestly don't understand the criteria the members here are applying. To me, anything besides results is like going to the next "boy band" because they have a new hair style or a new style of clothing. In contrast, the results are the results, and those stay the same and are inarguable.

A lot of people went to a different researcher because they were doing "human trials". Why? There were no preliminary results I saw that gave any indication that the human trials would be effective. To my mind, that is as silly as chasing the next new "boy band" because they have new hair cuts. I don't chase "boy bands" for the same reason. I judge music on its musical merits, and not how cute the "boy band" hair cuts are, how impressive the light show at the concert is, or even (in the case of Pink Floyd) how big the inflatable animals are. None of that changes how good the music is, and none of these other trappings change the results produced by the researchers.

The second problem has two facets, both related to money:

1) Big pharma runs our current medical industry. The LAST thing big pharma wants is to cure people. There is no profit in that. In the US, all publicly-held corporations must maximize profits for their shareholders BY LAW. This results in the disgraceful spectacles such as Big Tobacco executives lying before the US Senate under sworn testimony that cigarettes are perfectly safe. The reality is that the tobacco companies had internal data going back for decades linking smoking to lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, and stroke. Their response? Selective breeding of their tobacco to increase the nicotine content to make the cigarettes more addictive, and thereby more profitable.

This is capitalism at its "finest", and exactly how big pharma operates. Curing a person is the LAST thing they want. If they actually cured a patient of ANYTHING, they would lose all revenue. Their ideal drug is something patentable that is necessary to live. A good example is blood-pressure medication. You have to take it every day for the rest of your life. By keeping you alive, they assure that you will be a steady source of income and profit. So they want the drug to "work" - not by actually CURING you, but instead by simply treating the symptoms. That will keep you alive and buying the drug. But if they actually cured you, you would only be a one-time customer....

2) The National Institute of Health is the only other large source of funding. Ideally this would be used for the benefit of all citizens. There are at least two major problems:

a) The Republican party is trying to dismantle all governmental institutions, as they insist that all government is bad and that private enterprise (through "competition") is more efficient. See point #1 above.

b) The government appoints "experts" that decide who should be funded and who should not be funded. Just as with all institutions, this process becomes corrupted by money and politics. The result is that there are professional "researchers" whose main talents are to write compelling grants and have good political connections with those on the committee of "experts" who decide which projects get funded. They spend at least 50% of their actual working time writing grants to justify the existence of the departments they supervise. They may or may not actually participate in actual research that produces meaningful results.

In the meantime those of us with SCIs run like screaming teenage girls from "boy band" to "boy band" based on no actual knowledge or understanding of the science involved. That is understandable, as most of us are not actually scientists. Still one would hope that those of us who actually take time to read the papers would look at the results of the research. It baffles me completely to see that some researchers actually have produced results and most have not, yet many in the SCI community take pride in ignoring the results and flocking to the latest "boy band" for no reasons visible to me.

Wow. My posts are not generally the type that get any attention. I don't say much about anything often, I am a self-described back-of-the-classroom A student. There was no intent to offend. When I got hurt, the researcher that had everyone's attention was Dr. Lima and OEGs he'd rip out from behind your eyeballs through your nose. My post could have used more words. I would love incremental steps, I miss writing on paper, holding a hot cup of coffee. . . too many things. . . But, people in general are not much different than the dogs in the movie Up, mid sentence yelling "squirrel". Whether it is decorin, which in 2007 everyone read "a phase1 clinical trial team was assembled for a trial that would be less than two years away", or chondroitinase it doesn't really matter much. Before it can be human-tried something else in someone else's lab will get the attention of the people with the funding, and will have our attention as well.
    please . . .test what you already know; and give us what you have. we may not be dying, but we certainly are not living either

My condolences with us all. It took 31yrs and age 43yrs to accept that this is it. Stubborn I am. Damn my grandfather from Scotland!
    Last edited by lynnifer; 02-15-2016 at 05:22 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksdad View Post
    Wow. My posts are not generally the type that get any attention. I don't say much about anything often, I am a self-described back-of-the-classroom A student. There was no intent to offend. When I got hurt, the researcher that had everyone's attention was Dr. Lima and OEGs he'd rip out from behind your eyeballs through your nose. My post could have used more words. I would love incremental steps, I miss writing on paper, holding a hot cup of coffee. . . too many things. . . But, people in general are not much different than the dogs in the movie Up, mid sentence yelling "squirrel". Whether it is decorin, which in 2007 everyone read "a phase1 clinical trial team was assembled for a trial that would be less than two years away", or chondroitinase it doesn't really matter much. Before it can be human-tried something else in someone else's lab will get the attention of the people with the funding, and will have our attention as well.
    If you are old enough to remember Watergate, you will know this quote. If not, rent "All the President's Men".

"Follow the results."

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My condolences with us all. It took 31yrs and age 43yrs to accept that this is it. Stubborn I am. Damn my grandfather from Scotland!
    Are you old enough to remember the song by Donovan, "Jennifer, Juniper"?

Bless your grandfather from Scotland. If you weren't so stubborn, you wouldn't be with us today. This is not it. There is more to come. Follow the results. In the meantime, the currently broken system can be fixed. I am clear that the best thing we can do is volunteer for two organizations that are working very hard to remove money and corruption from the US political process and allows corporate profits to overshadow the common interests of the people.

http://represent.us
    http://berniesanders.com

Yes a former boss used to sing that to me all the time.

I'm Canadian. We have our corrupt Rick Hansen evil corp here.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Or consider Neuralstem SCI trial. They did animal studies just on acute SCI that showed modest recovery and now they did 4 patients with chronic SCI. Guess what? It does not work.
    They just finished injecting the last of 4 patients in the Phase 1 safety trial. I don't hear Dr. Ciacci saying they were not safe or feasible to implant in the cord. LINK (He did show an adverse event of acne on a couple people, one person had nausea and one had abdominal distress).
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-16-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    They just finished injecting the last of 4 patients in the Phase 1 safety trial. I don't hear Dr. Ciacci saying they were not safe or feasible to implant in the cord. LINK (He did show an adverse event of acne on a couple people, one person had nausea and one had abdominal distress).
    Thanks for the link, I have watched it carefully few weeks ago. If I got things right patients didn't show any recovery so far. I predict patients will never show significant recovery.

Time will tell.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Time will tell.
    Yes, Paolo, it always does.