Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Mr Hansen,

I have nothing against you, however, you remind me of the people that believe auto related fatalities are the fault of autos. The person responsible for the demise and eventual fading into obscurity of this thread has little to do with me. I have no clout.

That rests squarely on someone's else's shoulders. If this community does not hold researchers accountable, who then, the researchers themselves?

That's all I have to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Wow, what is it with this thread that inspires such hatred?

And while you're at it, why don't you ask what results have been achieved with these trials?These experiments are mildly interesting but that's about it, at least for me.
    Maybe if you bothered to read anything here other than this thread you could answer both your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    That rests squarely on someone's else's shoulders. If this community does not hold researchers accountable, who then, the researchers themselves?

I appreciate the effort you put into holding them accountable.
    When I joined this forum, I thought you were too hard on some
    of the researchers. How wrong I was.

I don't have an opinion of Davies because I don't think he's
    sapping any significant amount of resources from promising
    research. He can do whatever he does for an eternity, as
    far as I'm concerned.

Mr Hansen,

I have nothing against you, however, you remind me of the people that believe auto related fatalities are the fault of autos. The person responsible for the demise and eventual fading into obscurity of this thread has little to do with me. I have no clout.

Thank you my friend.

As a community we have to admit there are some charismatic researchers who disappoint us in the end. Some are well-intentioned and sincere and their theories simply do not pan out. Some are snake oil salesman. It's important that we ask hard questions, hold those responsible accountable and LISTEN critically. As a community, we need to allow room for hard questions without falling on each other and tearing each other apart.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Hi Schmeky,

I think you must have confused with some other poster. I simply said that I thought that there are other people that would be more enjoyable to spend time with than you. But I could be wrong -- I often am. Your avatar with the naked sunbather is amusing, but so is Eks' pun about his magnificent "coq" (French for rooster).

I'm glad that this thread is no longer sticky. Schmecky–thank you for your initial lab visits and report.

Many of us here donated money to Dr. Davies and then were scorned for asking questions. No patient should be scorned for asking questions in my opinion. Especially, when the research doesn't pan out and you donate with the intention of receiving some feedback whether it is positive or negative.

I think it is an issue of respect for the community and the lack of communication is disappointing because it further distances patients from researchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Especially, when the research doesn't pan out and you donate with the intention of receiving some feedback whether it is positive or negative.
    Can somebody help me out here? I'm kind of like Rip Van Winkle. I had a bad bout of food poisoning that almost killed me and I was in the hospital for seven months, most of it unconscious, sedated, or in a coma. When I went in, there were grumblings that Dr. Davies wasn't doing enough to communicate with the people on this forum.

But now everyone talks as though Dr. Davies' theories have been thoroughly discredited, his research has been proven to use falsified data, and on and on. I don't have time to go back through seven months of posts, so maybe somebody would be kind enough to fill me in on why the big shift in attitude towards Dr. Davies. The last I knew, we were waiting for his next paper...

Thanks!

This is possibly one of the most interesting threads to skim through from start to finish,
    I think it highlights the strong passion of finding a cure, the sadness when it doesnt come to fruition. It is uncanny how many times I ahve heard the 5 year cure answer, i dont believe this is malicious just maybe an overestimation by some researchers.
    I think Wise and Davies are probably both good people, but I think Wise goes the extra mile. I have an idea that a cure or a treatment for spinal cord injury would also be able to work on patients with so called sciatica(Broad term really), and there are millions of sufferers with sciatica, and it would be a very lucrative investment for the big pharma companies, so maybe if we could make it well known that acure owuld help all th epople on here with SCI and and people with sciatica woudl not then more companies get involved? any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Can somebody help me out here? The last I knew, we were waiting for his next paper...
    Thanks!
    Charlie, make a 5 minute phone call up to Mark Noble at the University of Rochester and ask him for his honest opinion of the decorin studies if you're seriously interested.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Charlie, make a 5 minute phone call up to Mark Noble at the University of Rochester and ask him for his honest opinion of the decorin studies if you're seriously interested.
    Rather than lots of people calling Dr. Noble, perhaps reading his research overview will suffice: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/biomed.../noble-lab.cfm

Note: he co-authored several papers with both of the Davies, so that might give you a hint.