Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Here is the program for 30/11/11 & 1/12/11 Stepahead conference from another thread. It references Davies' work. I wonder if anyone here went to this.

zoki, malthouse or christopher paddon?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I was in hospital at the time so could not attend......Hopefully someone can report back for us.

this is the most popular thread, According to "views", but something needs to come to reality. C'mon damn
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Since KofQ asked....
    My son and I attended the first day (of the two-day StepAhead conference in November, 2012). We heard Stephen Davies' talk but were unable to stay for day two so missed Jeanette Davies' talk which was expected to contain more recent results. Stephen's talk was pretty similar to the one he gave the year before, and we were a bit disappointed because we were hoping for...well, you know... but I was left with the impression from talking to him that he is approaching the human trial question in a methodical way which will maximise or virtually ensure the probability of success when it finally happens. Having dedicated so many years and (as you know) promised so much I don't think he is willing to risk a fail. And after all, decorin (but not in the combination the Davies' propose) has been tried on humans without success by others (reported in a StepAhead article not too long ago).
    An interesting point was raised by a partial paraplegic lawyer from New Zealand: NZ has virtually no medical litigation so ordinary surgeons there are far more ready and willing to experiment. As I understood it, this guy is in touch with a neurosurgeon who has told him, basically, that if the guy can show him reliable results of a successful human clinical trial using (for example) decorin + astrocytes + etc., and if he can obtain the ingredients, and replicate the technique, he would be willing to have a go.
    By the way it is a great conference, well-organised, free, with only a few dozen attending, mostly researchers and you get plenty of opportunity to talk to any one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dukevanwillem View Post
    An interesting point was raised by a partial paraplegic lawyer from New Zealand: NZ has virtually no medical litigation so ordinary surgeons there are far more ready and willing to experiment. As I understood it, this guy is in touch with a neurosurgeon who has told him, basically, that if the guy can show him reliable results of a successful human clinical trial using (for example) decorin + astrocytes + etc., and if he can obtain the ingredients, and replicate the technique, he would be willing to have a go.
    Well, that's pretty much a dead end deal. There hasn't been conclusive lab animal results replicated in the many other labs that tried and specifically no chronic work has been completed either. I don't know of any labs that have been able to replicate some of the preliminary acute reports even though there are several that tried. I kinda doubt there's human trials moving forward anytime soon so the partial para attorney from NZ probably won't see much until the science matures a whole lot.

Most good neurosurgeons can follow good protocol and are willing...but if they don't have good relevant animal data and no replications are accomplished to show proof, then nothing can or really should move forward towards a human clinical trial. They're dead in the water even if the paraplegic lawyer wanted to be involved in something. I don't understand what they'd want to specifically do since they have nothing to take them forward except a lenient medical litigation arena and perhaps wishful dreaming for future success on their lab animal replications... It's a good thing the neurosurgeon told them what was necessary.

I understood the StepAhead reports on lack of replication to be in-vitro and lab rats only. They didn't injected any human with anything yet nor any transplants...they simply don't have anything to work with yet. The Yale replication was supposedly done last year and I'm not really expecting them to publish negative results. I simply don't think we'll hear anything...(status quo???)
    Supposedly there was collaboration with Miami Project years ago too but we know that went dead...

The dog studies were done with Stephen Livesey and Kathy Traianedes (a husband and wife team). They started in Aug of 2010 and finished Nov 2010. The principle goal of this program was to develop an acellular, structurally and biochemically intact matrix. (Basically a cellular tissue graft to bridge in donated injured dogs)...It's one of the lab animal projects being tried in NZ.

The Victorian Neurotrauma Initiative that provided a huge share of the funding (around 95%) of the research costs has been disbanned the last I heard. The financing will be an uphill battle for money. I suspect we won't be seeing much from the NZ situation.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Grammy, thanks for your interesting response.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall the StepAhead trials were with dogs. I can't seem to find my source (a StepAhead annual report).

When you say "there hasn't been conclusive lab animal results..." I assume you are referring to the Davies lab. It appears to be a case of "it depends on who you talk to" on that one. But regardless of that, as you know the Davies lab is only one of many...

I'd say, the NZ situation bears watching.

Quote Originally Posted by dukevanwillem View Post
    Grammy, thanks for your interesting response.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall the StepAhead trials were with dogs. I can't seem to find my source (a StepAhead annual report).

When you say "there hasn't been conclusive lab animal results..." I assume you are referring to the Davies lab. It appears to be a case of "it depends on who you talk to" on that one. But regardless of that, as you know the Davies lab is only one of many...

I'd say, the NZ situation bears watching.
    Thanks for the information, dukevanwillem
    It seems that Decorin has similar shortcomings to those of chondroitinase insofar as they do not penetrate far into the cord and must be injected directly.
    Replication work on the GDA-BMP is being performed at Yale and will hopefully be published soon.

http://www.stepahead.org.au/media/pd...umn%202011.pdf

You are correct that there was mention of studies on dogs, but the strategy and status are not made clear in the report.

I am very curious about the chronic results that were discussed by J. Davies at the conference. Please let us know if you hear anything else.

So should we stop expecting something big from him then?

Quote Originally Posted by KofQ View Post
    Thanks for the information, dukevanwillem
    It seems that Decorin has similar shortcomings to those of chondroitinase insofar as they do not penetrate far into the cord and must be injected directly.
    Replication work on the GDA-BMP is being performed at Yale and will hopefully be published soon.

http://www.stepahead.org.au/media/pd...umn%202011.pdf

You are correct that there was mention of studies on dogs, but the strategy and status are not made clear in the report.

I am very curious about the chronic results that were discussed by J. Davies at the conference. Please let us know if you hear anything else.
    I believe Decorin has far more shortcomings than chondroitinase. Chondroitinase has a lot of the medical community excited that it could be one of the first real therapies for us.