Thread: Stephen Davies Update

You are correct lunasicc. However, it does say of the "treated conditions", that they do treat conditions on the back, which did not have ANY success two years ago. They also claim to have success on neuropathic pain, which I know many on Carcureforum have. Apparently, they have had success. And they are treating patients in Colorado.
    An NFL athlete was helped there. It was in an ESPN magazine article on October 17.
    I just thought any success in stem cells, particularly in Colorado is positive news. ESPN reported on the athletes success.
    Has anyone else heard of this company? Regenexx.com

Quote Originally Posted by dukevanwillem View Post
    As a research scientist in a different field (non-medical) I am often struck by the way that spinal cord researchers, like pure mathematicians, seem to be fascinated by theoretical solutions. Aside from a minority that includes Stephen Davies and Wise Young, they don't seem to be particularly interested in pushing their discoveries on through the human clinical trial stage. To draw a parallel, if rocket scientists had this same approach, the earth would be overflowing with model rockets, all with great potential, but we would never have sent a man to the moon. Now, I am sure I'm being a bit unfair here, but that's the way it sometimes appears.
    Landing a man on the moon was horrendously complicated and so is repairing the damaged spinal cord. I think we have to ask ourselves, are we willing to take a risk?

By the way, speaking from experience, clinical trials take too long and are too costly. We need to find another way.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Landing on the moon was achieved in a defined time frame ie 1961 to 1969 because Kennedy declared that it had to.

Medical science has no time limits on it. Just vague statements like 10 to 15 years then 10 years later it's 10 to 15 years again until you die never having been cured........

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Landing a man on the moon was horrendously complicated and so is repairing the damaged spinal cord. I think we have to ask ourselves, are we willing to take a risk?

By the way, speaking from experience, clinical trials take too long and are too costly. We need to find another way.
    Yes we need an alternative to the current clinical trial process, but also to the whole research process.

The sistem is broken and is not going to get us out of w/c. We need to take control of it.

Here are some ideas (but not enough IMO):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZR9V...ure=plpp_video

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

question about decorin

I wondered if it's possible to encourage the body's ability to make decorin. It's leucine-rich and that's a branched chain amino acid (BCAA) that helps to build muscle and promotes nitrogen storage. So could supplementing with BCAAs help not only muscles but decorin production? I'm a long time vegan, but get plenty of protein from other sources and yet maybe I need more to make decorin and dissolve my spinal cord scar. I have a contusion at C3/4 and walk with a walker around house, but spasticity makes me use electric scooter with lift otherwise. I did order BCAA supplement anyway. Thoughts? Thanks!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Landing on the moon was achieved in a defined time frame ie 1961 to 1969 because Kennedy declared that it had to.

Medical science has no time limits on it. Just vague statements like 10 to 15 years then 10 years later it's 10 to 15 years again until you die never having been cured........
    If we were in a rush to cure the first SCI before the commies in order to secure a strategic political-economic position you could believe that 10 year window.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post

This seems so true. The only reason that I can see for trials is to safety. Clearly in conditions where the only outcome to not performing an unorthodox procedure is almost certain death, this aspect is almost secondary. This make explain the phenomenal advances made in some types of surgery.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    I wondered if it's possible to encourage the body's ability to make decorin. It's leucine-rich and that's a branched chain amino acid (BCAA) that helps to build muscle and promotes nitrogen storage. So could supplementing with BCAAs help not only muscles but decorin production? I'm a long time vegan, but get plenty of protein from other sources and yet maybe I need more to make decorin and dissolve my spinal cord scar. I have a contusion at C3/4 and walk with a walker around house, but spasticity makes me use electric scooter with lift otherwise. I did order BCAA supplement anyway. Thoughts? Thanks!

Jan
    Jan, what an interesting question! I am not sure that the production of decorin is substrate limited. In fact, a quick perusal of the factors that affect decorin's role in overcoming inhibition and regulate its synthesis and secretion suggest that the situation is quite complicated. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see if BCAA supplementation will increase its expression in extracellular matrix of the spinal cord.

Decorin is ubiquitously expressed by many connective tissues, where it "decorates" collagen. It may itself sport a side-chain that includes chondroitin-6-sulfate and thereby inhibit growth. Decorin, however, also bind growth factor receptors, including epidermal growth factor, receptor tyrosine kinase receptors (which include neurotrophins), insulin-like growth, and low density lipoprotein receptors, through which it may affect other receptors, such TGF-beta receptor (Source). These interactions with growth receptors may overcome its growth inhibition properties (Source)

Recently, the Davies group (Source) reported that decorin reduces expression of semaphorin 3A messenger RNA, in addition to suppressing levels of chondroitin-6-sulfate proteoglycan production. The mechanism apparently depends on a nuclear factor "activator of transcription factor 3". Semaporins are well known to be growth cone guidance molecules (Source).

In 1993, Haneman, et al. (Source) reported that decorin is highly expressed in peripheral nerve and central nervous system. In rat spinal cord, apparently motoneurons and other neurons express the decorin mRNA (Source). The factors that govern synthesis and secretion of decorin core protein are complicated (Source), including N-linked oligosacharides, which promote folding of the molecule and interaction with molecules that help fold and secrete the molecule.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 12-03-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post

Jan
    What brand or kind of BCAA supplement is good.
    Some Findings
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

can any body tell us . will we see any up dates from Stephen Davies be fore the year is out
    AS I SIT HERE IN MY CHAIR . I LOOK OUT UPON THE GROUND .I WONDER WILL I EVER GET UP AND WALK A ROUND ??

http://justadollarplease.org