Thread: Stephen Davies Update

  1. #1171
    Quote Originally Posted by KofQ View Post
    I don't think anyone is asking for any trade secrets here, just a little periodic progress report. For example, Davies' experiments are being replicated at Yale right now. This was reported in the Step Ahead Australia newsletter and posted in this forum.

    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...8&postcount=10

    If Davies posted this on here himself, he would probably get a lot more suport (financial and otherwise) from those who are upset with him.
    Thanks for the link. A very interesting report. One thing stood out for me:

    In the linked thread (only a dozen or so posts), there were complaints from people that wished that the Christopher Reeve Foundation, The Miami Project, and the Rick Hansen Foundation would give similar update reports, like Step Ahead Australia is apparently doing. So it would appear that Dr. Davies is not alone in disappointing his (potential?) supporters.
    Last edited by Charles Hansen; 08-27-2011 at 02:04 PM.

  2. #1172
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Sorry for the tears. Your post kind of wanted to make me cry, too. It was of interest, no doubt. But there were far more questions than answers. I went to the link you gave and it looked like a press release. The sticky has over 400 posts -- too many to wade through for me.

    Of the seven subjects, "some" have reported "increased sensation" and "some" recovery of function.

    How many of the seven is "some"? Exactly how much "increased sensation" did "some" of the subjects report? Exactly how much "recovery of function" did "some" of the subjects report? What was the exact protocol? Just UCBMC in the spinal cord? Nothing else? No physical therapy? What was the patient population? How long post-injury? What level of injury? Complete or incomplete?

    As I said, it is of interest but does not yet sound like the breakthrough that will get us out of our chairs. But maybe that will change with the introduction of lithium and/or exercise and/or methylprednisone. Even then it would be nice if it worked on SCI patients that are many years out with complete injuries. Definitely something to watch. Thanks for the pointer.
    Try this link, it provides the trial details. As Dr. Young stated, the initial results have just begun to be reported and will need to be thoroughly tested.

    http://www.chinascinet.org/index.php...125&Itemid=167

  3. #1173
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Try this link, it provides the trial details. As Dr. Young stated, the initial results have just begun to be reported and will need to be thoroughly tested.
    Excellent, thank you very much! Very informative and answered nearly all of my questions. We will all have to wait for the results of this fascinating experiment.

    The one thing that surprised me was that the goal was to test twenty patients and yet apparently they only tested seven. Do you know the reason for this?

    If there is a shortage of qualified subjects, I wonder if they will use some of the same subjects for the variant trials using methylprednisolone and/or lithium.

  4. #1174
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Excellent, thank you very much! Very informative and answered nearly all of my questions. We will all have to wait for the results of this fascinating experiment.

    The one thing that surprised me was that the goal was to test twenty patients and yet apparently they only tested seven. Do you know the reason for this?

    If there is a shortage of qualified subjects, I wonder if they will use some of the same subjects for the variant trials using methylprednisolone and/or lithium.
    CH you should thake a break if you don't want to end up like me with Rick Hansen - LOL!

    Then as you know soon some great progress will come out of Davies lab so I think you can be happy with what you have done and people will thank you in the future.

    BTW Thank you for what you have done to support Davies work!

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  5. #1175
    Paolo, thank you for the nice post. However, I must admit to being ignorant of your experiences with the Rick Hansen Foundation. Is there a link you can point me to? Thanks!

    EDIT: I did a search here and found a bunch of posts where you were questioning the mission of the Rick Hansen Foundation. Apparently nobody there would answer your questions. It seemed like there were mixed reactions to your posts, but I didn't see any final resolution or outcome.

    I think I understand your warning me not to ask too many questions about the SCINet Trials. But I guess I am too much of a hard-headed guy.

    I don't understand the purpose of the "press release" (or whatever it was) touting that of the seven subjects, "some" have reported "increased sensation" and "some" recovery of function. To me this is lunacy.

    Why release data before it the study is finished? To raise publicity? To raise money? Because that "press release" smells bad to me. It is the kind of thing where everything is "mushy" and open to interpretation. As if it were designed to deceive people or grab the attention of the popular press. There are SEVEN participants. A damned crow can count to seven. Why is it that a team of researchers can't tell us exactly how many subjects reported "increased sensation"? Was it ONE? Was it TWO? Exactly how many subjects experienced "some" recovery? This is not higher math!

    If they don't want to say before the study is finished, then why release this information at all? To appease the crowd here on CareCure that are calling for researchers' heads if they don't put up a daily blog? I'm sorry, this just doesn't add up to me. But again, maybe I'm missing something. Happens all the time. I'm just some cripple at a keyboard.
    Last edited by Charles Hansen; 08-27-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Updated info

  6. #1176
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Paolo, thank you for the nice post. However, I must admit to being ignorant of your experiences with the Rick Hansen Foundation. Is there a link you can point me to? Thanks!

    EDIT: I did a search here and found a bunch of posts where you were questioning the mission of the Rick Hansen Foundation. Apparently nobody there would answer your questions. It seemed like there were mixed reactions to your posts, but I didn't see any final resolution or outcome.

    I think I understand your warning me not to ask too many questions about the SCINet Trials. But I guess I am too much of a hard-headed guy.

    I don't understand the purpose of the "press release" (or whatever it was) touting that of the seven subjects, "some" have reported "increased sensation" and "some" recovery of function. To me this is lunacy.

    Why release data before it the study is finished? To raise publicity? To raise money? Because that "press release" smells bad to me. It is the kind of thing where everything is "mushy" and open to interpretation. As if it were designed to deceive people or grab the attention of the popular press. There are SEVEN participants. A damned crow can count to seven. Why is it that a team of researchers can't tell us exactly how many subjects reported "increased sensation"? Was it ONE? Was it TWO? Exactly how many subjects experienced "some" recovery? This is not higher math!

    If they don't want to say before the study is finished, then why release this information at all? To appease the crowd here on CareCure that are calling for researchers' heads if they don't put up a daily blog? I'm sorry, this just doesn't add up to me. But again, maybe I'm missing something. Happens all the time. I'm just some cripple at a keyboard.
    Don't worry about Rich Hansen and other stuff.... just stay focused on what you are doing that is great ;-)
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  7. #1177
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    Thanks for the link. A very interesting report. One thing stood out for me:

    In the linked thread (only a dozen or so posts), there were complaints from people that wished that the Christopher Reeve Foundation, The Miami Project, and the Rick Hansen Foundation would give similar update reports, like Step Ahead Australia is apparently doing. So it would appear that Dr. Davies is not alone in disappointing his (potential?) supporters.
    Idon't think that was the nature of their complaints. CDRF, MP, and RHF all put out plenty of newsletters. That's how we know that they pissing away millions that could go towards actual research.
    I think Davies is doing great work, but you know that this is a business like anything else, and it is irrational to allocate resources to a business without sufficient information.

  8. #1178
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    I think I understand your warning me not to ask too many questions about the SCINet Trials. But I guess I am too much of a hard-headed guy.

    I don't understand the purpose of the "press release" (or whatever it was) touting that of the seven subjects, "some" have reported "increased sensation" and "some" recovery of function. To me this is lunacy.

    Why release data before it the study is finished? To raise publicity? To raise money? Because that "press release" smells bad to me. It is the kind of thing where everything is "mushy" and open to interpretation. As if it were designed to deceive people or grab the attention of the popular press. There are SEVEN participants. A damned crow can count to seven. Why is it that a team of researchers can't tell us exactly how many subjects reported "increased sensation"? Was it ONE? Was it TWO? Exactly how many subjects experienced "some" recovery? This is not higher math!

    If they don't want to say before the study is finished, then why release this information at all? To appease the crowd here on CareCure that are calling for researchers' heads if they don't put up a daily blog? I'm sorry, this just doesn't add up to me. But again, maybe I'm missing something. Happens all the time. I'm just some cripple at a keyboard.
    The trials began in Hong Kong, which limited the initial participant pool. I don't think 7 patients is anything to sneer at, that's 7 more than most researchers. If you don't understand the need for the latter to communicate with the sci community, even in unspecific terms, I can't help you. Anyway, may I suggest moving any further discussion of the SCINet USA & China trials to the proper threads? I don't want to further hijack the Dr. Davies thread. I wish him nothing but the best.

  9. #1179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    The trials began in Hong Kong, which limited the initial participant pool. I don't think 7 patients is anything to sneer at, that's 7 more than most researchers. If you don't understand the need for the latter to communicate with the sci community, even in unspecific terms, I can't help you. Anyway, may I suggest moving any further discussion of the SCINet USA & China trials to the proper threads? I don't want to further hijack the Dr. Davies thread. I wish him nothing but the best.
    SCI - many good ppl is/are working on it.

  10. #1180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17,427
    Some of the best in this world.

Similar Threads

  1. Stephen Davies Lab Report
    By Schmeky in forum Cure
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 03:55 AM
  2. Quackwatch Update
    By Wise Young in forum Cure
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 03:42 PM
  3. Did you contribute to Dr. Davies?
    By litespeed4 in forum Cure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
  4. NABR Update
    By Wise Young in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2003, 01:28 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2002, 05:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •