Thread: Stephen Davies Update

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    you defend dr.davies, you promote dr.davies, you insinuate that because dr.davies doesn't even ask for "a dollar a day" he is on higher moral ground than dr.young..
    I merely stated a few facts. You inferred whatever you wanted to from those facts. I have no idea who is behind "Just A Dollar A Day", how much has been collected, where the money goes, and what published studies (or clinical trials) have resulted. Do you?

in dr. davies last post on this forum he stated clearly that his only concern was beating his scientific $competitors$. i feel that form of motivation is counter productive and not indicative of a personality trying to help others, but more self promoting.
    Geez, you don't have to go around making stuff up!

Dr. Davies' last post can be found here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...07#post1176407

He said no such thing as you claim.

the only information you share is poisoned "Kool-Ade" that you eagerly push on the general public.
    Actually I stopped sharing any information years ago, as all it does is bring abuse on both Dr. Davies and myself. Sort of like your caustic post attacking me.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    I'm not trying to throw a sting bomb in anybody's rose parade.
    Schmeky, you asked Susan for links to published works on chronic research, did you not?

And you also realize that such links do not exist, do you not?

So how is knowingly asking for non-existent publications "not trying to throw a stink bomb"?

But maybe I'm missing something. That's not unusual.

Blog Entries
    charles hanson,

"When our new data is published this year - no one except maybe my scientific competitors (some of whom I'm told read my posts on this forum) are going to be disappointed."

this is a direct quote from dr. davies last post on care cure, the same one you went to the trouble of looking up. how could you misunderstand this quote to mean anything other than he's concerned with beating his competitors. not to mention the fact that what year was he talking about his data being published,he said this year. he must have been pointing at a calendar from 2015 when he typed that line.

please don't call your opinions facts, they are hued by your rose colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hansen View Post
    I have no idea who is behind "Just A Dollar A Day", how much has been collected, where the money goes, and what published studies (or clinical trials) have resulted. Do you?
    Seriously? You've been here since 2008 and haven't figured out that Just A Dollar A Day goes to the SCINetUSA clinical trials? Dr. Young has been nothing but transparent, not to mention prolific, about both the trials and the fundraising process. Like, hundreds, if not thousands of posts, most in this little corner of the forum.

We need to be united, even in hard times. Is useless and counterproductive bite the hand that is trying to help you.
    Support him if you want, or put your effort into another aproach, but we donĀ“t need internal wars.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

"When our new data is published this year - no one except maybe my scientific competitors (some of whom I'm told read my posts on this forum) are going to be disappointed."

this is a direct quote from dr. davies last post on care cure, the same one you went to the trouble of looking up. how could you misunderstand this quote to mean anything other than he's concerned with beating his competitors.
    Most discoveries arise from competition. Do you really think that Wise, Davies or anyone else does this work without at least some thought of recognition or reward?

I don't think it's too much to ask for Davies or one of his subordinates to post a short paragraph or two every few months to keep everyone who donates informed. Not knowing is the cause of the anxiety here, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by KofQ View Post
    Most discoveries arise from competition. Do you really think that Wise, Davies or anyone else does this work without at least some thought of recognition or reward?
    Correct. Nobody wants to be left behind when a scientific revolution comes along. What happened to all of the conventional physicists when Einstein came along? (Not that his ideas were embraced immediately!)

There are also financial considerations. Many of the discoveries are covered under patent. Many of the large pharmaceuticals want to "obtain" intellectual property for the lowest possible price and sell the resultant product for the highest possible price. (That's actually their job.)

And it's even possible that both could be rolled together in one. It's not out of the question that the person/team that restored function in an SCI victim would win a Nobel prize. Of course, that takes at least ten years to make its way through the "machine", so often the prizes are posthumous...

Quote Originally Posted by KofQ View Post
    I don't think it's too much to ask for Davies or one of his subordinates to post a short paragraph or two every few months to keep everyone who donates informed. Not knowing is the cause of the anxiety here, I think.
    It seems like a reasonable request, but unfortunately that's not possible. Releasing any information in advance of publication by a scholarly journal means that it will never be published. Davies (and everyone else) have to follow the rules of the game.

It sucks.

this is a direct quote from dr. davies last post on care cure, the same one you went to the trouble of looking up. how could you misunderstand this quote to mean anything other than he's concerned with beating his competitors. not to mention the fact that what year was he talking about his data being published,he said this year. he must have been pointing at a calendar from 2015 when he typed that line.
    Yes, that was Dr. Davies' quote. He did miss his self-imposed deadline by a month -- the most recent paper was published in January of this year rather than last year. But that doesn't bother me very much.

The paper showed the HUMAN stem cells worked to cure SCI's in rats. This was the first time such an experiment had been done. Were you disappointed? I wasn't. Were some of his "competitors"? As Dr. Davies said, "Maybe."

That is a FAR stretch from saying that the only thing Dr. Davies is interested in is "beating his scientific $competitors$", as you did in an earlier post -- with the dollar signs implying that his other motivation is money.

Personally I think that it is far more likely that money is the main motivator for one of Dr. Davies' "scientific competitors" -- the one who drives a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Seriously? You've been here since 2008 and haven't figured out that Just A Dollar A Day goes to the SCINetUSA clinical trials? Dr. Young has been nothing but transparent, not to mention prolific, about both the trials and the fundraising process. Like, hundreds, if not thousands of posts, most in this little corner of the forum.
    Yes, seriously. I simply haven't followed that closely at all. My bad. Maybe I'm missing out on some incredible stuff.

If you don't mind, could you just post a few sentences of the accomplishment highlights? If it's too much trouble, don't bother. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad62 View Post
    Correction. Dr. Davies had directly/indirectly solicited funds from the CareCure community, and has acknowledged it. You might have forgotten but it was discussed earlier.
    Dr Davies has made around 100 posts in various threads in CareCure. I haven't read them all. I did find an early one in this thread:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=139

In it he wrote,

"I have received several emails over the past few days requesting information as to how to make a donation, so here below are instructions for both wire transfers and personal checks."

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "soliciting funds", but that's not what I would call it. YMMV.

What I have come to understand over years of following SCI cure research is that human injury models are contusion as a rule and transection (from knife/bullet injury) as an exception. So far, Dr. Davies' published research/papers have been based on transected spinal cord. Recovery from chronic contusion injury in mouse/rat models would be the analog for us chronics.
    Here is what Dr. Davies had to say about transection studies versus contusion studies:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...957#post960957

The highlight being,

"Transection injuries make the absolute worst scar to try and overcome at the acute and particularly the chronic stages of SCI. We have seen indications that scarring spreads away from the injury site and is more extensive within white matter pathways of the chronically injured spinal cord in rats. Thus if you can overcome the effects of scarring on axon regeneration and / or plasticity (sprouting of intact circuits) in a transection injury model then the odds are that the therapy will be equally if not more effective in contusion injuries where it is generally thought that scarring is less robust.

"My lab is one of the few labs in the world that has actually quantified the levels of individual types of scar associated inhibitory molecules at acute through chronic (6 months out) stages of SCI and identified the cells that are making the inhibitors. We chose to first study transection injuries rather than contusion injuries because it is well known that the contusion injury models vary too much in size between animals to allow accurate quantification of scar associated molecules. In contrast transection injuries are highly reproducible AND RESULT IN LONG TERM DEFICITS IN LOCOMOTOR FUNCTION (THAT EVEN ACTUALLY APPEAR TO INCREASE IN SEVERITY AT CHRONIC STAGES)."

Please note that other labs may have attachments to using contusion injuries for other reasons.

He had started work on such mouse models with Decorin alone and in combination with type I astrocytes long ago. There has been no information on the results. In its absence speculation suggests that Decorin alone was probably not found to be effective enough in chronic contusion injury model. Then again it can be speculated that efforts (Decorin plus other things) are ongoing, and we will know in the next five years. Of course, if history is any guide, we will probably be repeating that every year.
    I agree. The delays are extremely frustrating. But until something better comes along, I will continue to support Dr. Davies. Naturally, each of us is free to choose any lab, or no lab at all.